Hitchiker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

XxVooDooxX

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I was sitting in front of my tank just watching (as I do most of my time) and one of the LR I put on about a week ago, I noticed some movement. Out came a starfish! About 1/4 inch at most and white/grey in color. Amazing that it seems like nothing happens for so long then all of a sudden.....BOOM so much life! I'm so excited!

Emeralds are pretty peaceful. They, like all crabs, are opportunistic. So, if the starfish dies and comes in the path if the emerald, the emerald will probably eat it. I have little stars and two emeralds. No problems yet.

Sounds like asterina starfish. They're all over my tanks. I love them! My emerald has yet to eat all of them. They tend to be good at multiplying.

ok so I was looking at pics of them on google and from what I see the asterina stars have five arms but not equal sizes. The one I saw in my tank have five arms yes, but they were all uniform and it was one of those stars that look like the arms are slightly webs together

I've had my biggest at maybe a half inch? They usually split before that. Mine are usually running around with 3 or 7 arms.

They can come and go in your tank. I used to have quite a few in my tank but haven't seen a single one for a long, long time now. They have probably died off.

And some eat corals and others eat algae right? I don't have any corals yet so I'm not worried about it. It's just fun to see things come out!

Yes, there are some that eat corals and others that eat algae. The normal asterina won't harm anything in your tank.

Back
Top Bottom