HLLE Disease

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sanderson417

Aquarium Advice Activist
All,

I think my kole tang has HLLE disease. Any ideas on how to best cure him? I have a 72 gallon bow reef tank. I soak all of my food in selcon and garlic Xtreme. I had a small surge in hair algae, so I did a major wc and added Purigen. I read somewhere that activated carbon could spur on HLLE. I would appreciate your ideas and cures for this. I also have 2 clowns and foxface, and a ywg, but only my Kole Tang seems to be affected.

Thanks,

SA

A varied diet will arrest it. You need to be feeding a variety. I don't believe garlic is as much an immunity booster as people make it out to be. No way would carbon, water changes, or purigen trigger HLLE. It's brought on by a vitamin deficiency IMO/IME.
Meaty foods, nori on a clip, and whatever else you are feeding now.

Mr X,

Thank you for your response. I presently feed mysis shrimp soaked in selcon a d garlic and provide nori sheets on a clip. What else should I feed? Also, could this have been caused because I don't feed often enough? I feed mysis a out 3 days a week and nori on a clip about 2-3 days a week.

Regards,

Sa

That sounds like a reasonable feeding schedule, but since the HLLE is present, I would increase it to include some sort of chopped fish. You can buy the prepackaged frozen stuff from the LFS if you don't feel like making up a batch yourself. "Rod's food", is made this way, but you can do it yourself much cheaper.
We had a fish food thread somewhere, but I can't seem to find it now. I made a thread on another site you can take a look at for ideas-
RenegadeReefers.org • Information

Back
Top Bottom