HLLE in regal tangs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
How do I know when the HLLE is doing better? When I first noticed it, all I noticed was the pits in the regals face....nothing is turning white or red. Did I catch it before it did this? What do I look for to know that its under control?

I looked again tonight and the pits per say look better but the coloring still isnt solid black and blue like the rest of the tangs body. Also I looked at the fins and they are perfect. Heard HLLE affect the fins too....dont know if this is true or not. How do I know when its as good as its going to get as far as putting it from the QT tank into the main tank? I have run copper for 3.5 weeks and the copper has been eliminated now for 7 days. (treated for ick previously)

As long as you know that it's not getting worse then you are doing good. HLLE takes a while to cure and sometimes doesn't cure fully. Just make sure that your tangs and angels if you got any are stuffed with nori and foods high in [acronym="Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acid"]HUFA[/acronym]. I soak my algae sheets, frozen foods and nori with Garlic Guard and Selcon vitamins. I had one tang with a bad case of HLLE and cured fully, but it took a while.

I feed a good bit of Seaweed Select from Ocean Nutrition and soak it in Garlic, Selcon, and Zoe. Plus I feed Mysis soaked in the same as well as brine (the good kind). I guess Im just anxious for him to get his color back now!! Hes not looking any worse so I guess this is good. Plus I am 2 water changes a week of like 5+ gallons in a 20 gallon tank...I hope Im doing all of the right things....Oh, plus Im doing the vitamin C drops too...

Good to hear that you were able to reverse HLLE. In all the years that I've kept marine fish, I was never able to actually get the HLLE to reverse. Back in the old days, we tried grounding probe, vitamin c in pharmaceutical grade, selcon, garlic extract, heavy seaweed feeding, kanacyn, paragon, maracyn 1 & 2, fish solution by ecosystems. Tried them all with no success.

Well I wont say that its reversed but its not looking any worse. The color on the tang is still not great but the pits do look better. He was VERY lathargic when I came home from a weeks vacation and he looked really bad. Now he is swimming around like nothing is wrong. If anyone else has any suggestions let me know.

The HLLE that I had on my Imperator & Blue Face Angel did not impede it's livelihood. They were with me for 11 years. I now have two Regal Tangs with the HLLE disfigurement and they are acting fine and have grown to twice the size. I personally just have not been able to reverse the disfigurement, but they are still strong & healthy.

Pecan
Let me know what you mean by HLLE Disfigurement??? Does this mean they had pits AND/OR Bad coloring? The pits on my regals face has stopped from what I can tell but the color is horrible...

HLLE can scar a fish leaving it midly or severely disfigured. It all depends on if it was caught in time and what was done about it.

This is what it can do if the fish is left to fend for itself.

juraqua2_small.jpg

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom