Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-06-2004, 03:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hmm... building a touchtank?

my mom was flippin through one of my aquarium magazines and was saying how it would be cool if she could have a touch tank where she works at camp during summer teaching nature. It would have like starfish, hermit crabs, a few other small things, does anyone think this is even possible.
Just looking for some feedback.

Old 02-06-2004, 04:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to yaksplat Send a message via MSN to yaksplat Send a message via Yahoo to yaksplat
As long as there's plenty of anemones, mantis shrimp, long spined urchins and lionfish. That would make for an interesting day at camp.

Jim

Old 02-06-2004, 04:15 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
sure! the Ripleys aquarium in gatlanburgh TN has a nice one, so I don't see why you couldn't
ReefRaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 04:17 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

There is a place called moody gardens in texas that has a touch tank.
THere is also one at the henry dorly zoo in omaha Ne.
Old 02-06-2004, 04:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My LFS has a touch tank and it is more of a tank of death. Nothing lasts for more than a few months for a variety of reasons.

I think some of the bumps in the road would be keeping flow that doesn't ripple the surface but provides current everywhere. The other issue (and maybe the largest) is contamination. I suspect lotions, soaps, snot (kids right ), and other things would constantly be getting into the water. I suppose a rigid "cleansing" regimen before the kids went to the tank could maybe avoid some of these problems.

How big would she want it? I've tinkered with the idea of having similar on a sun porch one day and wouldn't mind observing your ideas.
HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 07:15 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

it would be fairly small maybe 3x3 3x4 something along those lines.

Would the starfish and hermit crabs seen online like liveaquaria.com be suitable to touch or would they die on the spot??

Any one have any reccomendations of types of sealife that would be interesting and fair well under the conditions
Old 02-06-2004, 08:18 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

There is a coast aquarium in Portland that has a very nice display. Across the street is an aquatic museum. I bet since they are state funded you could get alot of useful information from them. I would be happy to make a few call get you the phone numbers if your interested. Cool idea..
Old 02-06-2004, 08:41 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

yea theres one in the aquarium on the boardwalk like 30min from me that i remember going to and they had star fish, sea urchins, a nurse shark( haha obviously don't have the space or money for that), and a horsehoe crab,

i'm just not sure what type of aquatic life would be able to be handled in the tank, i sent a email to liveaquaria.com to see if they had any opinions.
Old 02-06-2004, 10:49 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

hermits should be ok in a touch tank. ive many around southern cailifornia and in mexico. most of the smaller ones just had some hermits, larger species of starfish (i think the likias and other species sold would be too delicate, maybe chocolate chip, but im not sure). they also had sea urchins, sea cucumbers, and snails. a couple ive seen had a small slope for a more natural water movement, with a sump underneith for all the equipment.

i think its a great idea for the kids. just make sure someone is always watching it, and that the kids wash their hands before touching anything. i would like to someday have one myself with rays and sharks, but i dont think it will happen anytime soon
Old 02-06-2004, 10:51 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

what do you think of a horseshoe crab, they had one in the touch tank in the aquarium down the shore by me.

Tags
build, building, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com