hmm.. questions about fish...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

linz13

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hey guys! i'm new to aquarium advice! just wanted to aska few questions...

i have just recenntly decided to start a 55 gallon reef tank.. i had a 13 gallon before for about 3 years and decided to upgrade :D so now here i am...

ive had my 55 gall. tank up and running for about 3 months now... and i just recently got some new corals... green tree leather coral, frogspawn, green star polyp, and zoanthids... theyre just frags right now but hopefully soon theyll all begin growing!

for fish, i have a byno goby (sand sifter), a purple pseudochromis, and 2 percula clowns... i was wondering if i could get a flame angel and a yellow longnose butterfly fish... i wouldnt be getting them for a while.. and these would be the last two additions to the tank... i wanna do a lot more research on them but just wanted to know what some of your thoughts were... are these fish generally reef safe? i've been told that the flame and the bfly were pretty much reef safe... but i want to get some other opinions too!

i have about 40 pounds of live rock and 60 pounds of live sand in there too... tank is fully cycled and coralline algae is growing.. cleanup crew consists of one cleaner shrimp, one sally lightfoot crab, 20 assorted snails, and 5 hermits...

any advice would be awesome! and thanks in advanced!:D

Both fish I believe are hit and miss with reef tanks. Some individual fish will nibble, others won't. It's really a roll of the dice. I originally was thinking about a Flame Angel for my tank, but decided not to risk it. Regarding the Longnose Butterfly - I think those want a little bigger tank, like 75g or so, but I could be wrong.

Kurt is correct, they can be hit or miss with corals and the Longnose would like more swimming room and would be better suited for 70G or bigger.

As the others have stated. Big chance you get your corals eaten if you go with one of these fish..

PS. Welcome to AA!

thanks! and thanks for all your help everyone! i appreciate ittt <3!

If you truely love your corals I would skip the angels...IME the majority will eventually develope a taste for nipping at corals. While this may not totally kill the coral, the decrease in polyp extention from the nipping could lead to its demise.

As far as the longnose butterfly goes...stick with Forcipiger longirostris (big longnose) vs. Forcipiger flavissimus (yellow longnose). The big longnose tends to be much more compatible for reef aquariums.

I`ve had experience with a flame destroying my corals. I had two angels that were good fish for 4 yrs before they went bad. And then if you do add them and they do go bad then you`ll have to tear the tank apart to catch them. Alot of trouble for some "what ifs".

Back
Top Bottom