hmmm just need some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nycfatcow

Aquarium Advice Freak
ok guys...its me again....so i took some fish out of my 75 sw tank. Now i have the lionfish, snowflake eel, blue ring angel, yellow tang, 2 3 stipped damels, and the large hermit... do you think i have too many fish and therefore overloading my bioload? Also the other day i went to the local fish store and bought a piece of live rock that was shaped like a fancy clam shell that had a lot of curves and indents in it. Soon after leaving the rock in my tank for 2 days i realized that the clam looking thing had lil arms coming out from it. I went back to the lfs and was told that i mite have bought a dead hammer coral or something? But i guess i got lucky and its alive..or i bought a piece of rock with worms in it? Any ways im trying to buy some live coral for my tank. any good suggestions? im a beginner so something nice and cheap to maintain and mess around with. I was planning on going with some pink tip anemones for liek 14 a piece?
any other suggestion? thanks for reading all this!!

Well yes your tank is overstocked and no you probably don't have a hammer coral.
THose worms are normal and should come on every piece of lr. Tthey are probably spaghetti worms. Also, you can't really say you just want corals what should I get. What kind of lighting you have how much water flow and lr you have etc. These are all things you need to post. Anemone's are pretty tricky to take care of and need really good water conditions and a metal halides. Do some more research and good luck!

I have always heard the rule of thumb was 1 inch of fish per 5 gallons of water. Is this a good standard. Of course one would need to take into consideration the size of the fish when they become adults.

That 1" of fish per gallon is for FW tanks. And like Konrade says more info is needed. What are your nitrate readings. And where do they usually run. Do you have a skimmer. What type of water are you using.
Anemonies should not be the first trial creature after fish. If you have the proper lighting some shroons or zoos would be a better starter coral. Just because there cheap does ont mean there easy to keep.
Do some reading on them and for that matter anything you want before buying.

seaham358 said:
That 1" of fish per gallon is for FW tanks.
Yeah, 1 inch of fish per 1 gallon of water for FW.
I asked about 1 inch of fish per 5 gallons of water for SW.

That is a rule that some use Branew "1 inch per 5g" & your right take the adult size into consideration.

Kaye

It is VERY possible you bought a piece of rock with worms in it... I bought some rock from a friend that is LOADED with bristleworms... run a search on this site to find out more about them... mine don't bother me at all, but some people will tell you to get rid of them. If you want to know for sure, after lights out look in the tank with a flashlight... probably have alot more than you expect.

Back
Top Bottom