hmmm polyps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edmonton Eskimo

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have had a button polyp that I purchased as a frag. It has been about 6 months and it has gone from 4 polyps to 13. Very rarely do I see them fully opened. Why? PH-8.0,nit-0,ate-20ppm,Ca-450ppm,Am-0 temp-80

Hmm, odd. What size tank is that? Polyps tend to be low light, so you should be ok...

These are my new tank inhabitants, since we're on the topic of polyps (and I felt like digging out my DigiRebel tonight):
(click for huge)

Actually most polyps require moderate to high lighting as they get most of there nutrition from symbiotic algae.

You should try putting them closer to the light, buttons or zoos have their own little place they like, like High Light, Low Light, High Flow, Low Flow. I did these with my zoos and then found a place they like. They like the top of the tank and I have alot of light for my tank! :D

My experience has been the same as SaltwaterTeen's. There are so many zoanthids, and they come from so many different places, that there are some that like low light and some that like higher light. I've found that generally, the more intense the color of the polyps, the more they can tolerate, or require, brighter light, and a higher placement on the rock. But, when the polyps only partially open, I suspect some kind of irritant, like bristle worms or worse yet, zoanthid-eating nudibranch's...Look closely to make sure you don't have the latter. They're very bad but it's easy to get rid of them. Bristle worms aren't nearly as bad but when they live in a hole in the rock that the zoanthids are on, they're very difficult to get rid of.

Back
Top Bottom