HOB filter - to keep or not to keep?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catmel

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was curious, how many people use a HOB filter on their SW aquarium? Have you had any trouble?

I have had a Penquin 400 on mine since I started up last year. For the most part, It seems to be working well, adding to the extra circulation. I try to replace my filters every few weeks and of course rinse off any extra debris during PWC. I was told carbon running especially on a reef tank will help keep the 'chemical warfare' between corals under control. But, I'm concerned it may be causing higher nitrates in my tank. My tank seems to be steady at 10-20ppm nitrate no matter what. I did just do a 20 gallon PWC, so hopefully that will help. Seems a constant battle.

Is it worth keeping a HOB filter on a 55 gallon mini reef ( with no sump / fuge)? I also have 80 # live rock and a coralife 65 protein skimmer.

thanks!

If you are unable to make a fuge out of the hob then no unless you plan to create active media compartments from within.

I`ve never run a filter on my reef. Just dont see no need to unless you need to run GAC. As far as the nitrates 10-20 is not a killer. Yes 0 is the goal but like I said it wont kill the tank. Maybe you can run it with filters like one week out of the month if you think the filters are the problem.

Thanks for the help as always. So its really not needed to run GAC 24/7 then I'm guessing? I figured not, but wondered if it was of any use / help / made things any better.

If you are unable to make a fuge out of the hob then no unless you plan to create active media compartments from within.

Just curious, how would I make a fuge out of a penguin 400? This idea sounds interesting.

I run one on my nano. It serves a couple purposes .
1 it houses all temp probs
2 it houses my heater
3 it houses my media
4 it gives me precious water circulation
5 it give me precious extra water (about 1/2 gallon)
6it gives me somewhere to sit my fan for cooling:D

Back
Top Bottom