HOB overflo vs drilling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marie74

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am looking into getting a 90g standard tank- not reef ready.

I am debating between buying a toms rapids pro HOB overflo filter w/ built in skimmer or drilling the tank and building a sump..

anyone have any advice/experiences they can share?

I am looking into getting a 90g standard tank- not reef ready.

I am debating between buying a toms rapids pro HOB overflo filter w/ built in skimmer or drilling the tank and building a sump..

anyone have any advice/experiences they can share?

Drill if possible.. HOBs can be a pain in the butt. Even HOB overflow manufacturers recommend drilling, FWIW.

Thanks.

I know that drilling is probably better.. but it will be MY tank, so I will have to do the work.... hubby is really not interested, and I have NO idea what I am doing. I guess I better learn if I need to drill, build a sump/fuge, and plumb it! :eek:

Nah the plumbing isnt too bad. I actually just paid my LFS to drill it for me (that's something I didn't want to do)

Here's the back of my tank I did 3 holes, 2 1" drains and a 3/4" return...

image-4150308845.jpg

Attachments

• image-1795669346.jpg
    image-1795669346.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 118
Might be able to take it to your LFS they may do drilling. I would drill over hob.. I've never had one but hear nothing but issues with it backing up and dumping all over your floor..

Ben- what size is your tank? I'd like to see more of your plumbing if that is possible?

my lfs will drill your tank- $30 per hole, does not include bulkheads or any plumbing. cheeper just to order a kit fm glass-holes

Ben- what size is your tank? I'd like to see more of your plumbing if that is possible?

my lfs will drill your tank- $30 per hole, does not include bulkheads or any plumbing. cheeper just to order a kit fm glass-holes

It's a 75 and not actually set up yet. I will be using flexible hosing for the drains and return lines... (we are putting hard wood floors down in 2 weeks and will be setting the new tank up after that is done lol - didn't want to need to move the tank 2 times)

And yes it's always cheaper to DIY drilling, but do you really want to? It's not like it's a skill I will need down the road, it's a "once a tank" deal for me...

I suspect a glass shop will do it for less than that.

I doubt it. Glass shops are actually expensive because glass is all they do, and they need to make it worth their time to do a small job.

Is it tempered glass. If so I'm pretty sure you can't drill it. Might want to check into this. I know a lot of name brand pet stores sell tempered glass tanks.

I plan to check if it is temperd first, but I have not gotten it yet (A co-worker is getting rid of it, downsizing- he breeds discus.
The lfs says most tanks this side only have a tempered bottom, but the manufacturers website has the info...

Most percent of tanks do o Lu have a tempered bottom.. But wouldn't hurt to check first

Drilling is best but sump design is most important. Correctly designing a sump will not overflow and setting of overflow properly will not overflow tank.checkout Melevs reef.com

The 90 I was looking at was from a co-worker- he is selling for $50.
Great deal, but drilling is a hassle...

A person in the local aquarists club is upgrading to a 125- selling his 75g reef ready for $75. I'm going to go with that one. Same footprint, just a couple inches less deep. :)
I picked up a 40breeder to make a sump... now I need to research how to do that...

One step at a time.

Back
Top Bottom