Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-28-2005, 08:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to thanew
HOB overflows

alright, I'm looking to create a sump / refugium for my 29 gal tank and someone said HOB overflows are really crappy.. is this true ? and what about prebuilt sumps like from amiracle (i think it was)

-1 Blue peacock
-1 Syno Cat
thanew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 12:40 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

HOB is not the preferred method for overflows. Drilled is the preference. However for those of us who don't have drilled tanks, the J tube overflow saves the day. Tons of options when it comes to what kind/size of sump, mostly your preference or what you can afford. I have a 20 G Amiracle and its just like all the other sumps. Its square, acrylic (Most) and holds water. Guess my point is they all pretty much do the same thing. You can make a sump out of buckets, shoe boxes (The plastic kind, though let me know if you get cardboard to work..) all kinds of plastic items. Lots of diy ideas on this. If your looking for one with a built in 'fuge, then you need to look what will fit under your 29G. If space or $$ isn't an issue, then the sky is the limit. You can also incorporate a 'fuge later with either a pre fab 'fuge or simply use a 10G or whatever size tank plumbed in. Again, your budget normally dictates how imaginative you have to get ; )

GL!

Old 03-31-2005, 05:32 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to xahx
IF its acrlic, Drill IT!

Otherwise go with an acrylic J style siphon HOB overflow.. the drilled lookes the best.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to tinman
http://www.guarriello.net/overflow.htm

I am using this setup for an overflow. I just followed the design this guy made and it works great....Suction is never broken, even if you drain the tank...I tested this it works great. Is the drilled look without the holes.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:23 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

what kind of flow rate can that handle tinman?

I made a design that was very similar to that but a little more compact but I was not impressed with my flow rate.

Curious to hear the GPH...
Old 03-31-2005, 05:03 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to tinman
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyZ
what kind of flow rate can that handle tinman?

I made a design that was very similar to that but a little more compact but I was not impressed with my flow rate.

Curious to hear the GPH...
I made mine with 3/4 pipe and by my calculations it is running between 350 and 450 and hour. MY pump is an old pond pump I have had for 3 years, still works great so I used it with 1/2 return line and the flow is equaled out I think it was rated at 500 when I bout it(all the stickers are gone so I'm not sure what it is anymore). The cool thing about the design is the part with the 1 inch pipe can be raised or lowered to adjust the flow up or down.

I also used 2 overflowes to feed mine though, this guys design is pretty solid, mine has been up and running for 5 days with no issues, and last night we had storms and the power went out while I was sleeping. NO WATER in my floor and the thing was running just fine when I got up, wish my alarm clock would have automatically reset...lol

here is my pics of the design

Ignore the small 1/2 inch down pipe in these pics that was just to cut it back to test with a powerhead until I found my pump. Once I put the pump in I went back to 3/4.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:32 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

For the life of me I have no idea what this sump/refugium is for! I have had my aquarium for exactly a year with no major problems and I dont have this unit on it, so I dont exactly know why people use this. I have a sand filter hanging on the back, a Hot Magnum, and a skimmer, thats it. And no problems. Is there something I am missing or am I just doing something really right?

Tags
flow, hob, hob overflow, overflows

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com