Hole bottle of ocean nutrition flake food in tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

divedeep1689

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a entire bottle of ocean nutrition flake in my 125 reef. I came home last night to find kid had dumped it in. I siponed out most already as it was all in a corner of tank.....guess i have a dead spot but at the time i like this dead spot.... the tank was a dark yellow orange.....i did a 20 gal water change on spot and replaced filters to have new carbon..... about 5 hours later i did another 20 gal change. Now tonight i plan on doing another 20 gal change. I am using tap water as my ro system will not be hooked up till tomorow afternoon at earliest. I live to far from town to pick anything up. I cant test my water as my test kits are old and have turn to a jelly. My question now is wat would you do at this moment..... when i do the water change tonight i have the option of emptying my tank to nothing but sand water and fish that could give me the chance to siphon out all the fish food, place rock and corals back in, then put fresh salt water back in. should i go with this idea....wat is your thoughts...

Wow, I think most important now that you have already done pwc is to get some test kits. Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and Phosphate. I would order online(if I couldnt get to any LFS) and suck up the quick shipping expense. That will be your only true indicator of what you need to do. It sounds like you already siphoned most of the flake out so it makes me think testing is the best bet before doing anything drastic. You may also want to pick up some GFO or phosphate removing pads if you have sps coral and also since you are using tap water. Run some GAC (carbon) too.

Last edited:
I did replace carbon filters as soon as i started water changes, I may be able to get a hold of my buddy down the road and use his test kit. He does not have a phosphate test tho. I only have two very hardy sps corals one is a ora green birdsnest and other is a monti cap both very tiny frags no bigger than a quarter not worried to much if i lose them rather not but they are the least of my worries... I will try to get my friend to come test my water tomorow since he has his kits. Alot of people from atlanta reef club are telling me to go ahead with the emptying of rock and coral and siphoning out rest of food.

Hopefully everything will be OK. The best thing to do is PWC`s and siphoning out the food.

mike, ry said i should empty rock and coral some people on arc say it would be a good choice and some on there say it wont it will just stir up more mess from my sand bed and release toxins from the movement. wat is your oppinon.

If it will help to get the food out then so be it. Have some extra water made up so incase you do have a spike you can do some PWC`s.

Back
Top Bottom