Holothurian impatiens?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

loganj

Aquarium Advice Addict
Found this critter last week, but Kymme was gone to Alabama and had the camera with her. Found it again tonight. It was tentatively ID'ed as a holothurian impatiens by the description I gave. After looking at some pics on the web, I'm not so sure. Apologize in advance for the lousy pics...best the camera will do...or maybe it's the operator :oops: .
Any ideas as to what it is?
Logan J

chiton

Yeah...looked around on the web for some pics and I believe you're right. That must be what it is although I haven't been able to ID the species yet. From what I read, this is a good critter to have as it's main diet is algae and diatoms. One variety only reaches 4" in length...I should be so lucky as to have that one. Am I missing something? I didn't see anything about it having any toxic properties like a cucumber. Is it gonna jump out of the tank and eat one of the chihuahuas one day or is it a good thing to have in there.
Logan J

update on chitons

Well...a little more research has yielded more info on the chiton. I said they ate algae...well...coraline algae to be exact. They also eat diatoms, but the coraline is their food of choice. I'm not worried about it much as I have lots of the stuff and I don't think one little chiton is going to do an unreasonable amount of damage. They only grow about a millimeter per year. Wouldn't want a bunch of them though. Of particular interest to those of you who have acrylic tanks: The chiton's teeth are strong enough to rasp grooves in acrylic. Probably don't want one of these critters in that nice clear Clarity tank.
Logan J

Back
Top Bottom