Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-29-2004, 03:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
HOLY CRAP%$@*&!!!!!

I just experienced the worst aquatic disastor of my fish keeping career. My large Perc was missing. I found he had jumped into my internal over-flow of my reef ready tank. No prob, I will just him and get him back with his friends. Right...My hands were too big and my net too short to reach him. There was very little room in the overflow woth the two plumbing pipes in there. So I said to myself, "Self...Just remove the innner adjustable pipe to the siphon to give your self more room." Right. Instead of the inner pipe coming out from the larger pipe, the larger pipe came loose from the bottom of my tank. Crap! So all of the water in my overflow ran down into my sump, and then all over the carpet. There was the fish, flopping around on the bottom of the now empty over flow. At least he was easy to get now. So, now the sump get disconnected and the 30 + lbs of LR rubble gets removed so I can take it out and dry out my stand. I am glad my electic is mounted high on the side and well out of danger. Looks like I get to spend my afternoon cleaning my sump and mopping up wet, ocean smelling carpet. I think I will have a beer first. Thanks for listening. Any other stories out there like this, feel free to share, I do not think I am alone. Cheers...Lando

lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 03:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Sounds like my luck! Gotta hate that but at least you have the beer. Speaking of I think I may go grab one myself! If it makes you feel any better I have a snail thats stuck in my overflow for my fug and there is no way that I can think of to get him out. Guess its time for a beer!!

Any home mortgage questions feel free to ask. Thats what I do when I'm not tending to my tank!!
beachbumin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 03:55 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Sounds like my luck too. Ya, have 2 beers first, you deserve them.
quarryshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 06:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
Lol, I"m so glad I have hard wood floors for all the floods I've caused....although the ceiling on the first floor has to be repainted
jamal-188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 10:06 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist
I found out very quickly that laminated hardwook floors and aquariums to not mix. The area around my aquarium will have to be replaced someday but it will just have to learn to live with water for now. I am down from a 10 towel water change to a two towel.
cathyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 04:58 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Boy am I glad I tiled the den before setting up my last tank.
A lot of ripples make a wave
darb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 09:26 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via MSN to Nitrate
I got to clean up 2 spills this weekend so I feel your pain.
Nitrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 09:46 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
I can't seem to change the water without the syphon coming out on the floor at least once(usually from the cat getting involved, she likes to watch) but like you said, hardwood floors and a couple of towels do the job everytime.

Good luck! Kat
90 malawia cichlid
55 planted tropical community
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com