Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-20-2011, 12:55 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman View Post
Wow, and the only filtration I see is the rock and a HOB! Can that work on a 75?
It can, but he has a lot of rockwork in that tank, and I'd be afraid of dead spots. Some circulation pumps would be a good addition.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:21 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

That many fish and that little filtration, I feel bad for the fish. Wonder how long till it crashes or a fish will turn on the rest.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:57 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow, it does look quite overstocked....

Still how do ya know it is? Maybe we just haven't seen any filtration in the tank because he didn't fill it. I understand that's a lot of fish and I realize that the tang will outgrow, but how do you know? Overstocking means a lot of factors come into play. He could be doing super good PWCs every day and keeping a great eye on water quality. Although I will admit, that seemed like a lot of fish for a SW 75 Gallon tank...
Old 12-20-2011, 11:46 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsbro1997 View Post
Wow, it does look quite overstocked....

Still how do ya know it is? Maybe we just haven't seen any filtration in the tank because he didn't fill it. I understand that's a lot of fish and I realize that the tang will outgrow, but how do you know? Overstocking means a lot of factors come into play. He could be doing super good PWCs every day and keeping a great eye on water quality. Although I will admit, that seemed like a lot of fish for a SW 75 Gallon tank...
There is no way, no how, that a 75 can handle that many fish - at least a couple of which are really meant for larger tanks (that tang, for example).

No matter how many water changes you're doing, you need to let that fish swim. You could live in a bathroom indefinitely too, as long as air, food, and water were provided to you - doesn't mean it would be any sort of life worth living, however.

People who build tanks like this forget that we are, by nature of the hobby, taking the responsibility of providing a healthy life for another living thing - just like a dog or a cat. Just because it's in a tank and can't vocalize doesn't mean that a fish or a coral doesn't get stressed, feel pain, fear etc (heck, quite to the contrary, we've all seen what happens when both fish and corals get stressed).
caulastrea, green star polyps, palythoa, zoas
bighabeeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:28 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ridiculous.

The poor fish will be plant food in a few months or less. That tank has disease outbreak written all over it.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:04 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

It's like an episode of tanked. That rock could use some life
zambono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:34 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighabeeb View Post
There is no way, no how, that a 75 can handle that many fish - at least a couple of which are really meant for larger tanks (that tang, for example).

No matter how many water changes you're doing, you need to let that fish swim. You could live in a bathroom indefinitely too, as long as air, food, and water were provided to you - doesn't mean it would be any sort of life worth living, however.

People who build tanks like this forget that we are, by nature of the hobby, taking the responsibility of providing a healthy life for another living thing - just like a dog or a cat. Just because it's in a tank and can't vocalize doesn't mean that a fish or a coral doesn't get stressed, feel pain, fear etc (heck, quite to the contrary, we've all seen what happens when both fish and corals get stressed).
Thanks for sharing. In FW (which is where I am at 99% of the time) you could still have a lot of fish in a tank and have it good (like overstocking in those ARLC tanks). I didn't know it was different for SW. Thanks for sharing
Old 12-21-2011, 09:20 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsbro1997 View Post
Thanks for sharing. In FW (which is where I am at 99% of the time) you could still have a lot of fish in a tank and have it good (like overstocking in those ARLC tanks). I didn't know it was different for SW. Thanks for sharing
You bet. I kept cichlids before I got into the saltwater scene, and it was the same deal there: you could pack an incredible number of african cichs into a smallish tank, more or less ignore them, go lax on the water changes, and they'd go right on growing with minimal filtration, knowledge, or effort.

My saltwater fish only tanks took substantially more effort, consistency etc, but you could still get away with being lax.

Now with some corals and whatnot, I flat out will not miss a weekly water change. If for any reason I'm away on a Saturday morning (which is "fish tank time"), I make sure to do it the day before. And mind you, my tank is massively understocked - I could likely go two weeks by adding in kalk or something similar to replace calcium/alkalinity - I just choose not to, because I try to take my job of keeping fish and corals happy and healthy seriously.

In this case, this dude has way, way, WAY too many fish. Even by a normal, non-psychotic understocker like me standard. For the list he's got there I would say a 100 - 125 would be more appropriate...and those 30 - 55 gallons make a HUGE difference.

caulastrea, green star polyps, palythoa, zoas
bighabeeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
overstock, overstocked, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com