Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-03-2004, 08:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Holy pods!

I looked into my QT tank yesterday, and I was blown away. In one short week, the entire thing is CRAWLING with pods. They're everywhere. On the glass. In the sand. In the water column. I shine the light and they go flittering about. It's absolutely insane. There's a ton more in QT than in the sump. The QT has a bit of sand, while the sump has next to none. Will the sand help them proliferate? It's crazy, I'm telling you.

125 gallon saltwater: 55gal sump, 4 Blue-Green Chromis, Purple Tang, True Perc, Firefish, Royal Gramma, 5 Ricordea, Bubble Coral, 15 Pulsing Xenia, Green Star Polyps, Deresa clam, Green-Tip Torch Coral (about 11 "heads"!), Orange Montipora Cap, Purple M. Digitata, Green Slimer Acro. Yongei, 3 Orange M. Digitata, Pink&Green Acro. Millepora
dansemacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 09:04 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

How did you get some many? Did you order?

Old 05-03-2004, 09:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

No that's the crazy thing. I used a little bit of sump water, I'd say about 3-4 gallons, and the rest (~16gal) was fresh saltwater. On the day I setup the QT, I noticed one little pod hanging out on the back glass. That's it, I noticed at most 3 pods in the whole tank. 1 week later, and they're all over the place.
125 gallon saltwater: 55gal sump, 4 Blue-Green Chromis, Purple Tang, True Perc, Firefish, Royal Gramma, 5 Ricordea, Bubble Coral, 15 Pulsing Xenia, Green Star Polyps, Deresa clam, Green-Tip Torch Coral (about 11 "heads"!), Orange Montipora Cap, Purple M. Digitata, Green Slimer Acro. Yongei, 3 Orange M. Digitata, Pink&Green Acro. Millepora
dansemacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 08:48 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Thats cool. I bought some macro algae yesterday at the LFS and saw 3 mini serpent stars and a couple of pods so hopefully my fuge will explode too
Old 05-04-2004, 11:02 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to sumphead
It should. I have (had) a ditry water tank. At least that's what I call it. Brndfrb calls is something not appropriate for family forum phraseology. While it is temporarily cleaned up holding his livestock while he comepletes a substrate change, it is usually a pit. It is a 46 Gallon bowfront that holds only misc. inverts and about 50 lbs of LR. I never clean it and rarely do water changes because there is very little bioload. To get to the point, it exploded with pods so quickly and in such great numbers they no longer hide. When I turn the lights on you can barely see the back glass as it is covered with 'em literally by the thousands. After brndfrb moves his stuff out it will go right back to being the way it was and I am making a trap to catch em by the hundreds.

edit: throw a peice of LR or LR rubble in your sump. It should help.
Old 05-04-2004, 04:04 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I have a 15 gal refugium that is running with some bottom crud/rubble I got from premium aquatics and some of my DSB that was in my display tank. I put some macro algea in the tank last night that had some stuff in it.

I have never visibly seen bugs though. Later on, I did add a mandarin goby that is doing well in my display with the 110lbs of LR in there. My main goal for the fuge is pod production and some algea growth for when I get a yellow tang.

I bought some frags today at the LFS and he said he could get me a bag of bugs for about $15. I might get that to jump start the process

Tags
pods

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com