Home For My Percula

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaltwaterTeen

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, my percula is still wimming while sleeping close to the surface, how can I get him a home without an anemone, I heard that its best not to have an anemone. Can I put something like a pvc join for him or something?? plz help me :)

well, they can host in a number of things, star polyps, xenia, mine chose my plain old white goniopora and its happy as can be.
though at first my coral didnt really get why things were touching it, it soon began to like being taken care of and protected.

Is it a tank bred or wild caught Perc?

If it's tank bred then it won't have even seen an anemone before and will be perfectly happy without one. Even if you introduced one there's a good chance it will never go near it.

In the wild they only use anemones to stay safe from predators. So it's not really needed in the home aquarium. Again, if you introduced one it may or may not ever go near it.

I've read that you can make a fake anemone from clean rubber bands and that they will sometimes take to them. I tried it with my daughter' tank - it looked , they looked interested for a while, but didn't spend time there. However they were both tank bred. I haven't tried it with a wild perc.

I have a clown that has been with me for 7+ years and it has never hosted to anything. I never had anything fot it to host prior to the last year but it has been happy as far as I can tell. He sleeps up at the top of the overflow wall. He is always on of the first fish to come to the glass when someone is near.

I did buy a buddy for him last night and he is in QT. He is much smaller so hopefully they will get along and pair up. If not, perculas are easy to catch. If only damsles were... :?

If only damsles were...
LOL

My two Percs don't host anything either, they are both tank bred and are perfectly happy without. I have 3 anemones and they could care less. They usually "sleep" (if thats what you want to call it) near the bottom corner of the tank.

Mine sleeps by the back wall towards the surface LOL Im thinking about buying him a buddy, he seems to get alittle picked on by my brown saddleback, but nothing to worry about, they not in big fights or anything. Oh yea, one thing, my lfs had some mandrine gobys and they said that they eat the special formula variety pack that they carry, I think they might be lying? I heard the mandrine gibys eat only coepods and amphipods, is that true??? They said everything they get in shipping eats the formula variety pack, I have a hard time believing that

It's possible, but not very common, to get the mandarins onto flakes. They almost always starve without a generous supply of pods.

It's not unheard of, but I wouldn't believe them till I saw it with my own eyes.

My clown doesn't really sleep in his fake anemone, but he hovers around it and when I feed little bits of shrimp to my fish, he will carry pieces of shrimp and stick it into the fake anemone. It is cute to watch. The fake anemone is by Sea Garden I believe. They are only 9 bucks and can't be killed. :) Maybe that is worth a try. Here is the link
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=29871;category_id=2259

Atari said:
It's possible, but not very common, to get the mandarins onto flakes. They almost always starve without a generous supply of pods.

I don't have a Mandarin, but a Scooter Dragonette. I have her eating my Angels frozen food and recently she started eating flake. I have to target feed her though. She's a slow eater and the other fish get it long before it hits the bottom.

My clown doesn't really sleep in his fake anemone, but he hovers around it and when I feed little bits of shrimp to my fish, he will carry pieces of shrimp and stick it into the fake anemone. It is cute to watch. The fake anemone is by Sea Garden I believe. They are only 9 bucks and can't be killed. Maybe that is worth a try. Here is the link
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=29871;category_id=2259

Thanks for the advice LindSkins, one question, will the clowns go in the anemone and use it as their homes, or will they not recognise it cuz the real anemones have the stinging tentacles? If they will go in it its a good deal :)

I doubt you will get much intrest in the fake anemone from your clowns if they were tank raised. its definatly worth a serious try if its under 10 bucks. if they do take to it, It would be a good Idea to conside getting an anemonme.

Back
Top Bottom