Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-07-2014, 10:49 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuajimenez View Post
Yeah I did I went to like a construction and got a bunch of rocks then stuck it in my pool for a day so the chlorine can kill bacteria and stuff the put it in fresh water for a day and then in my tank once the cycle gets going it will basically be live rock
Dependent upon the type of rock you acquired. Not all quarry/construction rock is suited to become live rock.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:29 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392064153.200552.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	221887

That's all home made rock

Old 02-10-2014, 04:34 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Here is a piece of the quarried rock BRS sells. Only about 4 months old. In another few months it will be solid pink.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392064423.349586.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	264.2 KB
ID:	221888
Old 02-10-2014, 04:40 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Since I found a new used 90g reef ready tank to upgrade to instead of my 40b I just don't have enough rock anymore used half of it just to make 1 small structure. I think I'm going to try the diy route to fill it. I'm not too worried about maxing the amount of live rock out since I'm gonna be stocking the tank slowly.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:44 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Home made live rock?

Seeing what I have seen, I wouldn't do it any other way starting out again. I would buy just about 10% live rock and the rest fresh rock. Hitch hikers can be either interesting or a disaster. Starting fresh has many advantages.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:47 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
Seeing what I have seen, I wouldn't do it any other way starting out again. I would buy just about 10% live rock and the rest fresh rock. Hitch hikers can be either interesting or a disaster. Starting fresh has many advantages.
I have about 30lbs of live rock in my 20g reef atm. I am seriously considering removing the corals from the rock and killing everything on it for no reason other than to get rid of the obscene numbers of vermetid snails infesting my tank.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:00 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Home made live rock?

I will never start a new salt water tank with more than one small piece of live rock again. Waste of money and in the long run cause me more headaches than anything. Base rock for FTW!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com