homemade coral food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've never used it so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the recipie is calling for garlic oil not just garlic. I don't think you would want to add whole garlic to the mix. Is that correct hara/fishfreek?

I have heard of people using crushed garlic, I would be hesitant to do so. The oil that I use is home made, I can't see paying for it when it is so easy to make. Just put crushed fresh garlic in a container, cover with oil (I use olive oil), shake the bottle several times a day, (I keep mine by my coffee pot as a reminder)strain out garlic chunks after a couple of weeks. Voila!

That is the first recipe I saw with garlic oil. I just take the clove and remove the skin and then blend it up with everything else. I will try the oil next time. I will be adding beta glucan next time as well.

I used to use the Kent garlic extreme but was looking for a cheaper alternative.

ellisz, the only reason I would be hesitant to use crushed garlic in the recipe would be because I would think the fish wouldnt eat it...do they? I have never asked anyone this and am just curious as to whether or not the garlic itself is consumed.

Good question. :) I figured with the small amount I actually used, I was not really getting the benefit of garlic. I never knew you could do that with the oil. I was trying to stay with fresh products instead of using LFS products.

When I feed, food particles go everywhere and all seems to be eaten. Not sure though. I like your way better :)

hmmmm. garlic oil ehs? wouldnt the oil mess up the tank and kill all the fish. It sounds insane to be dumping oil into my tank!!!

hmmmm. garlic oil ehs? wouldnt the oil mess up the tank and kill all the fish. It sounds insane to be dumping oil into my tank!!!
the amount used is very negligible. It does however, promote a stronger immune system and a healthy appetite. Herbalists have known this for centuries.

It amazes me why some people would hesitate to use natural ingredients yet reach for a bottle of chemical additives whenever they think they need it.

okok, this is my plan. 4-5 shrimp unpeeled, 4-5 scallops, big chunk of squid, one big sheet of seaweed, some krill (to thicken instead of flakes), and garlic oil (1 tablespoon is good enough??) how does thsi sound?

one tablespoon is way too much, I would do more like 1/4 teaspoon, or an eyedropper full. same with the vitamins.

Hara said:
ellisz, the only reason I would be hesitant to use crushed garlic in the recipe would be because I would think the fish wouldnt eat it...do they? I have never asked anyone this and am just curious as to whether or not the garlic itself is consumed.

it seems as if the yellow tang gobbles any visable garlic, but keep in mind, it was the first thing i added to mine and I liquified it.

Back
Top Bottom