Homemade Fish Food: This look good?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dansemacabre

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've borrowed from a recipe I found and printed. I can't seem to find it in my links listings, though it's probably there somewhere. Anyways, just saying I'm not claiming this as my own, but I picked a few things off of it that I know I can find. Does this look good for adequate nutrition?

1) 3 garlic cloves
2) Zoe Marine vitamins by Kent
3) 4 sheets of dried Nori (finally found it!)
Dulse if I can find it, otherwise just Nori alone, or some added baby spinach, or romaine lettuce. (all from the sweet organic foods store in town)
4) Sweetwater Zooplankton
5) Spriulina Flake Food
6) Oysters
7) Raw Jumbo Shrimp
8) Small amounts of white marine fish.

Not canned, all fresh, and from the organic food store. It's just for fish and inverts (feather dusters, etc) Sound good? Lacking something? Should I leave something out? Thanks again!

That looks great!! Make sure you add all of the oyster juice in there, the filter feeders and stuff like the juicy stuff.

If I was a fish I would be drooling right now LOL, I made some similiar to that and my fish go loopy over it

Sounds good. Be aware your going ot make alot more than you initally think.

I just made a fresh batch and used the following.

1/2lb of raw shrimp
1/2lb of scallops
1/2lb of squid
8oz can of oyseters
6 clams
2 8X10 sheets of nori
just under 1qt of tank water to cut the thick liquidized seafood.

The final consistancy was of a thick milkshake and I ended up using 7 ziplock sandwidth bags to store the mixture.

The total cost was probably somewhere in the neighborhood of $15-18 and will last me for well over 6 months.

Yep, sounds good. Sounds a lot like my recipe. :)

I just made some this weekend - I usually tend to buy what's on sale at the seafood counter. This 'round' was chowdah mix (haddock, cod, salmon), bay scallops, oysters, and some shrimp.

Dulse if I can find it

I buy both my Nori & Dulse here:

>RawHealth.net<

HTH,

Fishfreek,
How do u think if we replace tank water with Phytoplankton? ANd throw in a couple garlic cloves. Just wondering. It looks like you have a GREAT recipe. And just like everyone wants to mess with your homeade chile, here I go messing with your recipe

I acutally thought about adding some phyto to the mix last week but held off caus I was unsure what the freezing proccess would do to them. My guess i that it would be ok. So in that case change out the tank water to phyto and add enough to get the consitancy ok. Ideally I like a thick milkshake consistancy where it pours out slowly. You could do garlic cloves but I dont know if they fish would acutally eat the garlic pulp. dansemacabre added cloves to his mix so he could tell us how the fish work with the pulp from the cloves. You could obviously add some garlic extract.

I cant take credit. The base of my mixture is formed from ReefLadys mixture. She has a webpage that outlines her blender mixture but I cant recall the URL.

Have you tried feeding your tank some of that mix yet?

My fish seem to really like your mix!! I might even feed more than once a week now!!! My fish really like garlic, and in past experience, my fish eat even the cloves. Most beneificail is the food soaking in it and being frozen in it. Just think, we dont get TICKS on us if we eat alot of garlic (proven fact) And i think ICK is the ticks of fish. What I would do is get a Garlic press and add to the mixture. IF you want, I wouldnt mind hangin out the next time u mix it, and I will bring the tools (garlic press) I believe this is the best preventative medicine. JMHO

I got a garlic press. Just gotta dig it up.

We can have a fish food making party. HAHA. nothing better than sharing the experence of liquifying raw seafood.

Back
Top Bottom