Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-14-2012, 05:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Homemade Food Question - Frozen OK? Garlic?

I wanted to know if you can use frozen fish (not frozen fish food cubes) for homemade food or if it has to be fresh. I know definitely not canned and no spices etc.

For adding garlic do I add bite size bits of whole garlic or get garlic juice and add that in?

I was thinking a mix of shrimp, scallops, squid, cod/tilapia, and crab if it's cheap enough, then use some seaweed strips I have with frozen cubes and flake food. Hopefully this amount would make a batch good for my salt and freshwater tanks.

Thanks for any tips! I'm on my phone at work and can't search for threads so hopefully this isn't a duplicate question.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrichor
I wanted to know if you can use frozen fish (not frozen fish food cubes) for homemade food or if it has to be fresh. I know definitely not canned and no spices etc.

For adding garlic do I add bite size bits of whole garlic or get garlic juice and add that in?

I was thinking a mix of shrimp, scallops, squid, cod/tilapia, and crab if it's cheap enough, then use some seaweed strips I have with frozen cubes and flake food. Hopefully this amount would make a batch good for my salt and freshwater tanks.

Thanks for any tips! I'm on my phone at work and can't search for threads so hopefully this isn't a duplicate question.
If making own food fresh seafood is best. If frozen be sure it contains no preservatives!

Also either form of garlic will work.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:57 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks, Schism. I got some raw shrimp and squid and frozen silversides and frozen baby clams. Not sure if the garlic I have will work (it's minced garlic in a garlic liquid) since the packaging is in Chinese and Engrish. Gotta love those Asian marketplaces!
Old 08-15-2012, 02:47 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Thanks, Schism. I got some raw shrimp and squid and frozen silversides and frozen baby clams. Not sure if the garlic I have will work (it's minced garlic in a garlic liquid) since the packaging is in Chinese and Engrish. Gotta love those Asian marketplaces!
Be careful of phosphates
Old 08-15-2012, 02:58 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Careful with the jarred minced garlic. Most likely additives/preservatives. Your best off buying whole garlic or an aquarium made for extract.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:26 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

I will give you my recipe that I use and have been adapted by a group of fellow reefers in my area.

I do 6 scallops 6 clams 3 raw large shrimp 2 sheets of sushi nori. About 4 ounce portion of any white fish on sale with one clove of minced garlic. Blend it all in a food processor. Just make sure y rinse it good with rodi water then i put in large zip lock bag roll thin with a rolling pin. And freeze it flat..
Old 08-15-2012, 03:21 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbstrong View Post
Be careful of phosphates
The ingredients on the frozen stuff doesn't include anything other than the fish (ie Ingredients: Baby Clam), so it should be phosphate free I assume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism View Post
Careful with the jarred minced garlic. Most likely additives/preservatives. Your best off buying whole garlic or an aquarium made for extract.
I'll save the garlic for human consumption probably and use a raw clove like jsmith said.

Thanks for the help everyone!
Old 08-17-2012, 02:28 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I got one more question, apparantly.

I was going to make the food and realized the clams I bought are pre-cooked. Can I still use them? The ingredients listing just has "baby clams" as the only ingredient.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:51 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I was wondering about making some food blocks cause my fish live for those frozen bloodworm blocks. Thanks *getting hungry just reading about shrimp and garlic lol*
Old 08-17-2012, 10:16 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I got one more question, apparantly.

I was going to make the food and realized the clams I bought are pre-cooked. Can I still use them? The ingredients listing just has "baby clams" as the only ingredient.
Only fresh sorry dont worry i first made the mistake by doing that to shrimp..cooked seafood looses alot of nutritional value.

Tags
food, garlic, homemade food

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com