Homemade Foods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nxb161

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How many people here make at least some of their food themselves? I used to buy beefheart and make a food back in the day when I had piranahs.
For the most part I buy my SW fish frozen food once a week, and pellets or flakes a couple times a week. I'd like to make some chunky/meaty frozen food. Do you recommend just getting some raw shrimp and clams and slicing them up and freezing or? I want some bigger pieces in there so the starfish and stuff will have a shot at it too. The one probem with the bigger pieces I buy like frozen prawn saltwater food is that those pieces tend to float on the top and take a lot to get them to sink. Any tips for that when making my own chunkier food? Another reason is my LFS is closing soon, and I want to be able to make my own and not have to order frozen food online.

What are you feeding?

IME New Life Spectrum is the best thing for most fish if they will eat it.

Nothing too big, 3 different types of clowns, gobies, cardinals, royal gramma, sixline wrasse. (amongst my 3 tanks) I have starfish in all of them that have a hard time getting to the smaller foods. Well the serpent stars are better at grabbing it before the fish do. I have some good pellets and stuff, but interested in homemade frozen food. Most I'll dice up tiny for my smaller fish, but want to incorporate some larger pieces to keep my starfish happy.

IMO homemade foods are guesswork at best. Unless you are an animal nutritionist it is jeopardizing one of the if not the most important aspect of fish care. This is why I leave the nutrition of my fish to professionals. Frozen foods lack all the supplemental nutrition that high quality pellets provide (all those ingredients that aren't 'salmon', 'squid', 'herring', etc.).

I recommend sticking with a high quality pellet as effectively all of their diet.

Understood, I already said I am using pellets and like to supplement with frozen, if someone can chime in about that, that'd be great.

Back
Top Bottom