Homemade sponge ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foob

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys I didn't have prefilter sponges for my powerheads so I used some extra dishwasher sponges to wrap the intake and tie it with rubber bands.

Will there be any problems?

Don't quote me 100% but I have heard that during the manufacturing process they use a detergent in the sponges to keep bacteria from growing in the sponge and this detergent isn't good for your tank.

PLEASE PLEASE make sure that sponge did not have a bacteriascide in it. Some sponges will explicitly state not to be used in aquariums because they have an antibacteral component injected into the sponge.

Store bought sponges can very likely have fungicides on them to keep them "fresh" while sitting on store shelves.

When in doubt, go to the LFS, and pick up some cheap Aquaclear sponges and cut them to fit your need. If you make a little block of sponge and cut an X into it, it will slip right on an intake.

Ok thanks. The packaging doesn't mention any chemicals or aquarium suitability, but to be on the safe side I've removed them.

Go to walmart and go to the fabric isle and get some pillow or quiltiing floss and make your own ! WAY cheap and WAY easy to make your own filters !

Back
Top Bottom