Homocidal Yellow Tang!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gefilte

Aquarium Advice Regular
I went out of town for 5 days and all hell broke loose. My wife was feeding and putting in the tech cb, so their routine had not changed. My water checks out fine by my testing and the lfs. However, here's what happened.

First, just before I left, we saw the the yellow tang kill the goby. He just plucked at him until he was dead. By the time we got to him it was too late. We were putting in metronidazole and garlic in the food for the blue tang because he had a little ich. Next, we lose the Royal Gramma--he just dispppears..we still haven't found him. We assume now that yellow got him. Next, my wife wakes up one morning and the blue tang is lying on the bottom of the tank dead. She said she saw yellow and blue rubbing against each other the day before-lfs says yellow was probably attacking blue with the barb in his tail. Next morning, two clowns dead..no apparent distress and no contact with yellow that she saw. Now, we're down to just yellow and the anemone. Yellow was the second to last one put in the tank. Only blue went in after him and only by about four days.

We were doing great, following all the directions....and now we're down some really great fish that we really liked, not to mention being out $200 and have only the murderer left.... Since the water is fine, is it safe to assume that yellow is just antisocial and needs to go to someone else's tank to be by himself or is there anything else I need to look for?

I have never known yellow tangs to be such violent killers. Mine, for instance, is very subdued. But then again you never know. Have you examined the dead fish to actually check if they had been attacked? If the yellow used the barb it should be evident.

Also, can you rule out ich?

i kinda hate yellow tangs for that reason only !! had to pull mine out for same reasons now hes in with a large pather grouper and triggers/puffers and still is a jag but at least not doing any damage !! ive always say i would rather have a biter than a stabber for sure !! they can do a ton of damage with that spike !!
sorry for your losses

I have heard of yellow tangs being like this, that's why I don't have one. Good Luck!

Kaye

Just to update.....it appears that the culprit was, in fact, the Yellow Tang. The water is still checking out fine and the Yellow Tang (all by himself now-although looking a little guilty) looks fine as well. The lfs is going to take him back and credit me towards more psychopathic killers, but I am wondering about this....If I start over again and get another Yellow Tang, put him in the tank last-but make sure he is smaller than the others, will I have any better chance of success? Or should I just forget about the Yellow Tang completely? Or, was this just an aberration?

Your thoughts?

I have a yellow tang and 4 other fish in my tank, and I added him last. Not only he's not aggressive at all but most of the time he has to watch out for the blue tang who won't of course let him around his territory. Worked for me.

I agree with Justin, if you get another yellow tang put him in last and make sure he's as small as possible. Of course my yellow is smart enough not to mess with my triggers or even the Powder Blue which gets a mean streak every once in awhile he even teases my lion 8O . Good luck.

George

Back
Top Bottom