hood/lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kcoatney

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am in the process of turning my 40 gallon lizard tank into what is going to be a reef tank. What I need to figure out is what to do about the hood/lighting. As of right now, it has a screen that slides on and is held secure by some notches. Can I just keep this screen and get some sort of light strip to lay across it? What would you recommend?

Also, what is the best way to make sure the tank is really clean after this lizard is out? Maybe bleach or is that a bad idea? Thanks in advance!

the lighting will depend on what corals you would like to keep. as for cleaning the tank, dont use any chemicals, alot of hot water and elbo-grease should do it.

No bleach, check. Thanks. And I was kind of just thinking the high output lighting, but would the screen hold a light strip across it? Is this safe? Or maybe, is there somewhere I can get an oddly shaped hood? This would need to be about 36" x 15".

is your tank an aquarium or was it ment for a lizard if it was not an aquarium you should not try to put water in it a lizard tank is made from thinner tank that may not hold the pressure i ask becose a standard 40g is 36x18 not 36x15 also if it has the sliding screen top built in ints not an aquarium

for the lighting i would build a hood with lighting in it

I would definatly check the size of the glass. And check around for tops, rather than keeping that steel mesh unit on there.

is your tank an aquarium or was it ment for a lizard if it was not an aquarium you should not try to put water in it a lizard tank

I will have to concur with Ianrich147 on this one. A critter tank is not an aquarium and by putting water in it like an aquarium you run the risk of it breaking. On a critter tank they generally use thinner material. Wouldn't want you to run into to any leaking or breakage problems setting up a reef tank with it. However some people will say they have done it and that is fine. Sometimes they hold up sometimes they don't. My luck would be the later.

Good luck with the reef tank though and if you decide to do it here a link to a light outfit that can get you covered.

http://www.hellolights.com/index.html

if the tank does work out, you use a vinagar/water solution to clean the tank. bleach, too, either way you just have to rinse, rinse, rinse, and when you think its good, rinse agian....

Okay, well my wife just okayed me for a new aquarium. Thanks guys! :D

Cool, glad we could convince the boss to let you get a new aquarium!

ya i know lol i'm just so used to hearing it, i know what everyone means.
but ya, i'd advise looking in the local classified ads too, thats where i got my 55 setup for 200 :)

Back
Top Bottom