Hooded tank starting to be a problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

austinsdad

Aquarium Advice Addict
For those of you who have know me, I began with a 72g RR tank with 4x65w lights on legs. Completely open and accessible tank back then.

Now, I got this nice new 155g tank. Beautiful hood and retro-fitted MH and PC lighting.

After 4 or 5 months ( i forgot now) of this nice new tank, I'm really missing being able to walk up to it and reach inside to do stuff. Clean, scrape, adjust, pick, vacuum, etc, etc.

Gotta unplug light ballasts (4 of'm), fans, grounding plugs and remove the hood. Place a temp light (my old 4x65 pcs that I really need to sell) on the tank frame, and get to work. This is getting old. Really missing my old 72g, fully accessible tank days.

Anybody else feel me on this? Hopefully, I'm going thru just a phase and will get over it. Hmmmm.

Is there any way you can make some sort of "lifting" attachment or hoist, from the celing, or is that not possible?

No. Got modular trak lighting above the tank and any pulley system would seriously take away from the aesthetics in my basement.

Yeah, that was my thought initally too.

I have the same thing on my 175. I have to remove the wraparound every time I work in the tank...been doing it for a long time and I have found no workable alternative.

Yeah. I gotta do something soon. I'm losing my enthusiasm.

Then again, maybe its my mid-life crisis stuff going on. Recently traded in a 2004 Silverado truck and my Camry for a new Toyota truck. Got rid of half my 20 some lawn customers. Trying noni juice.

Just talked w/my wife about the tank. No one (3 kids or her) talk about it or notice anything any more. Not as much fun. She'll have company and they make a good comment, but I never get the feedback anymore.

Talked with my family Dr last week and he reminded about my "time bomb" in my chest. NIH found an aneurysm near my heart last year. Born with a condition (A/V fistula) that has never been a problem, but NIH has been watching me since I was 2 yrs old. Free too.

Anyway, a number of things are going on in my life and I'm really starting to take time for me and joys that don't require as much of a routing.

OK, I'm rambling now. I won't make any decisions too fast, but I am losing it with this tank. Or it could be just a phase. We'll see.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as
well dance!"

I hope the Noni works for you. Hang in there, you know you have aplace to vent.

My lights and stuff are aatached to the lid of my canopy and it swings back. So i just lift it out of the way. I try not to get into it much.

they make these things at hydroponic store called gro-yos, can prob find them online too.

they are used to hold lights and all you have to do is raise or lower the light with your hands and the tension in the yo-yo like thing suports the weight. they really are genious...i wsa thinking of putting them on my current set up but i dont really need to move thelight with my setup (hung from celing)

Back
Top Bottom