Hooking a qt to a display

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
When I am qting fish I really am only really worried about prevention of parasites in my tank. I was wondering if anyone thought of hooking a qt tank up to a display and using a diatom filter after the return pump.

It it small enough to capture both ich and marine velvet so they shouldnt be able to migrate to the display through it.

The benefit to this is you shouldnt have to worry about controlling nutrients and worrying about ammonia spikes.

It wouldn't work.
You can't use it for medication, the diseases would still go through a diatom filter. Maybe if they were hooked up with several UV filters.
But it's better to run them separately.

It defeats the purpose of a QT linking it with the DT, as you would not want to run copper or hypo if need be...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It wouldn't work.
You can't use it for medication, the diseases would still go through a diatom filter. Maybe if they were hooked up with several UV filters.
But it's better to run them separately.
Bacterial diseases are incredibly rare and can be prevented with good water parameters.

Any parasites are too large to fit theough a diatom filter. Both velvet and ich as well as others are too large for it.

I do understand about the treatmebt though.

I wasnt going to do it, but wasbjust wondering what people thought about it.

If you are worried about parasites, why not just use a UV sterilizer on your main tank? A diatom filter is only as good as the powder coat on the bag isn;t it? What if it clogs up and/or stops pumping water due to backed up flow rate. ( It's been a while since I used a DF. Do they still use powder to coat the filter bag?) The sterilizer doesn't have this issue.
We don;t need to discuss the other reasons for keeping the fish separate from the display tank ;) (y)

Bacterial diseases are incredibly rare and can be prevented with good water parameters.

Any parasites are too large to fit though a diatom filter. Both velvet and ich as well as others are too large for it.

I do understand about the treatment though.

I wasnt going to do it, but was just wondering what people thought about it.

It's not whether the diseases are rare or not, it's that the QT wouldn't serve a purpose anymore.
Even if you don't pass a long the parasites because of the diatom filter, and you have to move a fish to QT, you can't treat it.
It all comes down to a Chance really. If you buy a fish unaware of a bacteria it's carrying, and put it in the QT, your DT is doomed too.

If the QT isn't connected this isn't the problem.

It is possible to make a qt connected, but it'd just be more like an extra stabilized tank.

(I fixed your typos btw ;))

Back
Top Bottom