Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-30-2004, 12:06 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh, after doing some searching I must correct a statement I made. When I was in the r/o business 25 gpd was top of the line. Now I'm seeing 50 gpd as a standard rate and as much as 100-300 gpd being offered although the membranes start at $250. Thats very impressive to me, although with some tweaking I'm getting 30 gpd on my system and between my 5 tanks totalling about 125 gallons and bi monthly water changes I have never needed more. I am surprised that I found nothing about auto-shut offs, I just think thats pretty dissapointing that it isn't a top priority, a 100 gpd day system must waste at least another 100 gpd a day, can anyone say summer drought? And talk about those water bills. Did ya get the one with the inline tds meter? Thats impressive.

Old 07-15-2004, 09:52 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak

Does anyone have a pic of the attachment peice needed to install on the laundry water line?

I went to the Home Depot and the guy there didn't know what I was talking about.

Old 07-16-2004, 12:08 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

just needs to be a fitting that will connect to a hose spicket and allow you to have two garden hoses attached.

Walmart might sell them too. Might check in the camping suppplies. When sharing a water spicket, these come in handy.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:42 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok. I didn't know what the little tubing attachment side was called. Thx.
Old 07-25-2004, 05:23 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok, I purchased a "Y" adapter to hook up to the water line for the washing machine. There are two outputs, one end goes to the washing machine and the other connects to another adapter that has the fittings for the little tubing that goes to the RO/DI unit.

My question is, what type of valve do I need to be able to turn on/off the water that connects to the RO/DI unit?

Is there an adapter that I'll be able to put in-line on the RO/DI tubing? Or will the adapter have to be the size of the regular water tubing line?

Sorry if Im confusing anyone... I dont know the terminology. I can take pics if anyone needs. Thanks again.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:44 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

Are you talking about a shut off valve that will fit on the 1/4" tubing? There are, this is called a 1/4" in line shut off valve, and they are available at Home Depot, Ace Hardare etc in the plumbing dept by all the plastic fittings. They're really easy to use, you can buy em with a quick connect fitting to put on the plastic/vinyl/polyethelene tubing and you just push the tubing in and pull and thats it. If you find the right place to go you will be amazed at the selection of these quick connect plastic fittings that make life soooo easy.
75 gal planted/cichlid tank
PatM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 10:22 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

If the standard tubing that comes with RO/DI units are 1/4, then yes, that's what Im talking about! Thanks!

I'll be stopping by the hardware store tomorrow.
Old 07-26-2004, 12:49 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Activist

I think auto shutoff valves are standard fair now. I got my 100gpd unit from Aquasafe Canada and it has one. Once it fills up the tank water stops flowing.

HTH,

-Maximo
Old 07-26-2004, 02:46 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh wait. I bought this one on ebay for about $90 shipped:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...315030779&rd=1

In the description, it says it has an auto shutoff valve. Im assuming that the water will automatically shut off when the tank is full. But what if I'm filling a trash can (greater than the 3 gallon storage tank)? I dont think this will work then... ???
Old 07-26-2004, 12:33 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

This is what I do. I put a shut off valve on the output line that I got at Home Depot. It has the 1/4 slip fitting and then a shut off lever. I let it fill a 32 gal rubbermaid and when it reaches the level I want, I go in and shut the valve off. The pressure build up from the shut valve will trigger the auto shut off just like it would if you were using the pressure tank.

You do still have to check you container but this is workng for me.

Tags
unit

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com