Hooking up the R/O unit.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, after doing some searching I must correct a statement I made. When I was in the r/o business 25 gpd was top of the line. Now I'm seeing 50 gpd as a standard rate and as much as 100-300 gpd being offered although the membranes start at $250. Thats very impressive to me, although with some tweaking I'm getting 30 gpd on my system and between my 5 tanks totalling about 125 gallons and bi monthly water changes I have never needed more. I am surprised that I found nothing about auto-shut offs, I just think thats pretty dissapointing that it isn't a top priority, a 100 gpd day system must waste at least another 100 gpd a day, can anyone say summer drought? And talk about those water bills. Did ya get the one with the inline tds meter? Thats impressive.

Does anyone have a pic of the attachment peice needed to install on the laundry water line?

I went to the Home Depot and the guy there didn't know what I was talking about. :?

just needs to be a fitting that will connect to a hose spicket and allow you to have two garden hoses attached.

Walmart might sell them too. Might check in the camping suppplies. When sharing a water spicket, these come in handy.

Ok, I purchased a "Y" adapter to hook up to the water line for the washing machine. There are two outputs, one end goes to the washing machine and the other connects to another adapter that has the fittings for the little tubing that goes to the RO/DI unit.

My question is, what type of valve do I need to be able to turn on/off the water that connects to the RO/DI unit?

Is there an adapter that I'll be able to put in-line on the RO/DI tubing? Or will the adapter have to be the size of the regular water tubing line?

Sorry if Im confusing anyone... I dont know the terminology. I can take pics if anyone needs. Thanks again.

Are you talking about a shut off valve that will fit on the 1/4" tubing? There are, this is called a 1/4" in line shut off valve, and they are available at Home Depot, Ace Hardare etc in the plumbing dept by all the plastic fittings. They're really easy to use, you can buy em with a quick connect fitting to put on the plastic/vinyl/polyethelene tubing and you just push the tubing in and pull and thats it. If you find the right place to go you will be amazed at the selection of these quick connect plastic fittings that make life soooo easy.

If the standard tubing that comes with RO/DI units are 1/4, then yes, that's what Im talking about! Thanks!

I'll be stopping by the hardware store tomorrow.

I think auto shutoff valves are standard fair now. I got my 100gpd unit from Aquasafe Canada and it has one. Once it fills up the tank water stops flowing.

HTH,

-Maximo

This is what I do. I put a shut off valve on the output line that I got at Home Depot. It has the 1/4 slip fitting and then a shut off lever. I let it fill a 32 gal rubbermaid and when it reaches the level I want, I go in and shut the valve off. The pressure build up from the shut valve will trigger the auto shut off just like it would if you were using the pressure tank.

You do still have to check you container but this is workng for me.

As long as it has an auto shut off just pick up a float, they sell them just about anywhere r/o's are sold and this will make life alot easier. I mounted one on a 30 gal rubbermaid in the basement and it fills and the float stops the r/o, and then the auto shut off shuts the whole thing down.

Hell, I just ordered from Aquafx and now I see this float valve. I could of used that! I wish I would have known ...

I had to get an auto shut for my booster pump. I almost got as many parts for the RO as I do the tank!

dont install it under the sink it will leak i hav a 5 stage one that is supposed to be installed under the sink but we now have it portable you can just buy the sink attachment at lowes :D

sry i mean hose attachment also put it in an open cooler or something cause it leaks really bad for the first few minutes

I had a few leaks at first but after redoing some of the fittings and making sure the guest fittings were tight, all is dry.

Yeah, not a bad idea to mount under the sink but 1) leave enough tubing to raise it up into the sink when servicing and 2) put in a rubber maid or something to keep leaks in check. With those quick connect fittings it's all about cutting the tubing nice and straight and rolling it in your fingers a little to make sure it's nice and round.

Here's what I bought so I could turn on/off the water supply line. I found a 1/4 shut-off valve, but only one end was a quick connect while the other I had no idea what attaches to it.

I asked 2 different people in Homedepot and all they could say was "I don't know". The first guy referred me to the second guy who proceeded to refer me to someone else. At that point, I just looked around and came up with the items in the pic.

The empty end will be feeding water to the washing machine. What do you think? Is this ok?

That'll work. Just remember, an r/o usually won't leak until the tank is full and full pressure is reached so keep your eye on all fittings for awhile. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom