Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-17-2011, 04:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

HORRIBLE !!! FOAM/SOAP in aquarium

Hi everyone, \

so I have a 75 Gallon with a 55 Gal sump. I have bunch of corals and fish, everyone got along and my tank was as healthy as it could get.

Last night i came home to my skkimmer making foam, SOAP foam. ALL MY FISH AND CORALS WEAR DEAD !!!! only thing alive was some Clean up crew.
I have no idea what happened. I think one of the corals might have died and released a poison. I had two Hammerheads, Frogspawn, one multi-tiped frog spawn, two torches, bubble anemone, mushrooms. I recently added fire red clam and Crocea clam. But it has been well past two weeks since i added them and they both behaved and looked healthy. only anemone that seemed real unhealthy was the one i attached a picture of.
I forgot what the name of this one is, and its been weeks that my orange clown fish adapted to it and were playing around in it non stop.

What do you guys think is the issue?? I dont want to believe someone put soap in my tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1180.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	263.2 KB
ID:	44107   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1282.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	268.3 KB
ID:	44108  

Old 07-17-2011, 04:45 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'd put money on the anemone. They are known for releasing toxins when they die. I'm no expert tho!

Old 07-17-2011, 06:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

how long had it been since you last saw the tank healthy? a couple hours, a whole day?
Old 07-17-2011, 10:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxb161 View Post
how long had it been since you last saw the tank healthy? a couple hours, a whole day?
... I saw the tank in great codition at 8pm when I turned off the lights... I saw the huge amount of foam at 2:30... And I saw everything was dead and then checked the foam in the sump
Old 07-18-2011, 05:08 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

When you took the foam out did the bubbles pop and go away right away? If they are soap bubbles they will last some time but if it is just bubbles from the sump they should go down pretty quickly.

Get some tank water in a container and shake it up. Do the bubble for and last a long time?

If they go away quick, or don't produce when you shake the container then it probably isn't soap.

Did anyone do any cleaning in the last couple of days in the room? Like windex or anything at all?

Tags
foam

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com