Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-21-2011, 01:59 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

horse shoe crabs

I have a 55 gal sw and after my cycle is finishe and my fish are in there id really like to get one, or maybe two. My tank will be mainly FOWLR but I might have nem and a mushroom or something... anybody have these cool little guys? Please tell me the pros vs cons on them!

Thanks!!!!
Travis

Old 11-21-2011, 02:36 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Con: they get to be 2ft long and often starve and die in the aquarium, under the sand bed and decompose.

Not what you wanted to hear but it's the truth. Cool little guys though. My Lfs has a ton of them and I was so tempted to get one but then read about their problems.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:40 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitherbomb View Post
Con: they get to be 2ft long and often starve and die in the aquarium, under the sand bed and decompose.

Not what you wanted to hear but it's the truth. Cool little guys though. My Lfs has a ton of them and I was so tempted to get one but then read about their problems.
Ummmm. Yikes! Lol I really want one... how long would it take to get to 2 ft? Probably longer thank it would survive? Lol how often do they die?
Old 11-21-2011, 02:44 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis55

Ummmm. Yikes! Lol I really want one... how long would it take to get to 2 ft? Probably longer thank it would survive? Lol how often do they die?
I have no idea how long it would take. Maybe 2-3 years. Also, they die 100% of the time as does everything..... haha no but it's almost inevitable that they will starve unless the owner is hand feeding it 3-4 times a week which is definitely not worth it because they stay under the sand, out of sight almost 100% of their lives.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:56 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitherbomb View Post
I have no idea how long it would take. Maybe 2-3 years. Also, they die 100% of the time as does everything..... haha no but it's almost inevitable that they will starve unless the owner is hand feeding it 3-4 times a week which is definitely not worth it because they stay under the sand, out of sight almost 100% of their lives.
Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it! I think ill just get emerald crabs... they look cool and are helpful to the tank! Thanks again!
Old 11-21-2011, 03:22 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

No problem!
Old 11-21-2011, 03:36 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I just got one today after a ton of research.
They take up to twelve years to reach their adult size and only females get 2ft long, although even the smaller male would probably be too large for a 55 gallon in the long run.
My little guy is eating but it is going to take a lot of extra care.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:23 AM   #8
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Quote:
I just got one today after a ton of research.
And your research told you it's OK to get 1?
Critter of the Week: Limulus polyphemus (Horseshoe Crab)
"Horseshoe crabs should only be kept in large (several hundred gallon) mature systems. Best case scenario would be something like a biotope, mimicking the crabís natural environment of mudflats or sandbeds with sea grasses and sp**** rock. Each crab needs a minimum of 10+ square feet of open (mature) sandbed, at a minimum depth of 6Ē. Not suited to reef tanks because of the crabís need for cooler water (68 Ė 79 degrees), open sand areas, and their tendency to knock things about. In addition, they have an unfortunate tendency to get wedged into the rockwork/aquascapes so popular in reef tanks."
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:17 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

That is a good site a lot of great information thanks for the tip ccCapt.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:02 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis55 View Post
I have a 55 gal sw and after my cycle is finishe and my fish are in there id really like to get one, or maybe two. My tank will be mainly FOWLR but I might have nem and a mushroom or something... anybody have these cool little guys? Please tell me the pros vs cons on them!

Thanks!!!!
Travis
As an aside to your main question, the vast majority of anemones will need very intense lighting just like corals do as well as an established aquarium. At that point you pretty much have everything to set up a reef other than rockwork, so why not go reef?

Tags
crab, crabs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com