horse shoe crabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Travis55

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 55 gal sw and after my cycle is finishe and my fish are in there id really like to get one, or maybe two. My tank will be mainly FOWLR but I might have nem and a mushroom or something... anybody have these cool little guys? Please tell me the pros vs cons on them!

Thanks!!!!
Travis

Con: they get to be 2ft long and often starve and die in the aquarium, under the sand bed and decompose.

Not what you wanted to hear but it's the truth. Cool little guys though. My Lfs has a ton of them and I was so tempted to get one but then read about their problems.

Con: they get to be 2ft long and often starve and die in the aquarium, under the sand bed and decompose.

Not what you wanted to hear but it's the truth. Cool little guys though. My Lfs has a ton of them and I was so tempted to get one but then read about their problems.

Ummmm. Yikes! Lol I really want one... how long would it take to get to 2 ft? Probably longer thank it would survive? Lol how often do they die?

Travis55 said:
Ummmm. Yikes! Lol I really want one... how long would it take to get to 2 ft? Probably longer thank it would survive? Lol how often do they die?

I have no idea how long it would take. Maybe 2-3 years. Also, they die 100% of the time as does everything..... haha no but it's almost inevitable that they will starve unless the owner is hand feeding it 3-4 times a week which is definitely not worth it because they stay under the sand, out of sight almost 100% of their lives.

I have no idea how long it would take. Maybe 2-3 years. Also, they die 100% of the time as does everything..... haha no but it's almost inevitable that they will starve unless the owner is hand feeding it 3-4 times a week which is definitely not worth it because they stay under the sand, out of sight almost 100% of their lives.

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it! I think ill just get emerald crabs... they look cool and are helpful to the tank! Thanks again!

I just got one today after a ton of research.
They take up to twelve years to reach their adult size and only females get 2ft long, although even the smaller male would probably be too large for a 55 gallon in the long run.
My little guy is eating but it is going to take a lot of extra care.

I just got one today after a ton of research.
And your research told you it's OK to get 1?
Critter of the Week: Limulus polyphemus (Horseshoe Crab)
"Horseshoe crabs should only be kept in large (several hundred gallon) mature systems. Best case scenario would be something like a biotope, mimicking the crab’s natural environment of mudflats or sandbeds with sea grasses and sp**** rock. Each crab needs a minimum of 10+ square feet of open (mature) sandbed, at a minimum depth of 6”. Not suited to reef tanks because of the crab’s need for cooler water (68 – 79 degrees), open sand areas, and their tendency to knock things about. In addition, they have an unfortunate tendency to get wedged into the rockwork/aquascapes so popular in reef tanks."

That is a good site a lot of great information thanks for the tip ccCapt.

I have a 55 gal sw and after my cycle is finishe and my fish are in there id really like to get one, or maybe two. My tank will be mainly FOWLR but I might have nem and a mushroom or something... anybody have these cool little guys? Please tell me the pros vs cons on them!

Thanks!!!!
Travis

As an aside to your main question, the vast majority of anemones will need very intense lighting just like corals do as well as an established aquarium. At that point you pretty much have everything to set up a reef other than rockwork, so why not go reef?:fish2:

And your research told you it's OK to get 1?
Critter of the Week: Limulus polyphemus (Horseshoe Crab)
"Horseshoe crabs should only be kept in large (several hundred gallon) mature systems. Best case scenario would be something like a biotope, mimicking the crab’s natural environment of mudflats or sandbeds with sea grasses and sp**** rock. Each crab needs a minimum of 10+ square feet of open (mature) sandbed, at a minimum depth of 6”. Not suited to reef tanks because of the crab’s need for cooler water (68 – 79 degrees), open sand areas, and their tendency to knock things about. In addition, they have an unfortunate tendency to get wedged into the rockwork/aquascapes so popular in reef tanks."

We're not planning on keeping it for it's entire lifetime. It's about 2" now, when it gets to the point to where it's too large for the tank, which will take several years, we'll be donating it. After a lot of research I decided against them. My mom purchased it, I told her no but the sales guy convinced her. I've done enough to take care of it while we have it.

Not trying to backpeddle or anything haha :rolleyes:

Great decision not getting. And good luck with your new one! I hade one that got killed by a calm......... great little critters, but shouldnt be sold.

Back
Top Bottom