Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-25-2004, 01:26 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Horseshoe Crab

Hey all! I got a horseshoe crab today, and by tonight it's gone. Nowhere to be found. Will the HS Crab bury itself completely in the sand where you cant see it? I

The crab is about 1 1/2" long.

How far can it dig down? I have about 4 inces on the bottom.

?Newbie I AM!

Thanks!!!!!!

Old 04-25-2004, 07:03 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Horseshoe crabs will dig all the way under the sand in search for food. They eat the critters that keep your sandbed alive. The also grow to about 2 ft in diameter, although you don't have to worry about that, it will starve to death way before then. These critters should be left in the ocean

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 06:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Is there any way to support one? Would a mantis and a hs be a bad match? Just wondering? I'm trying my hardest to convince myself that I don't want a mantis tank without anything else in it. I'm only curious, I'm not on my way out to get anything.
Old 04-25-2004, 06:55 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I appreciate your opinion Kevin, but is it possible that your wrong. (respectfully)
A friend of mine that has been in the saltwater buisness for 40 yrs said that it would be fine, and live.
Old 04-25-2004, 06:57 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

The problem is that the HSC will starve after eating everything in your sand band, meaning that it isn't really a good specie to keep in an aquarium. I am not sure about compatability.
RogerMcAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 07:03 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
but is it possible that your wrong
Always, but in this case I am not. Twice a year I see these creatures at the pier, I can send you a skeleton of one that is 12-18" in diameter if you'd like

It is also widely known that they are sand sifters, hence there shovel type shell and they are sand fauna predators.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 08:35 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24 hours? NE!
Would a mantis and a hs be a bad match? Just wondering? I'm trying my hardest to convince myself that I don't want a mantis tank without anything else in it.
IMO, there are no real good tankmates for a mantis other than something that is much too large for it to kill. Although, I have a urchin in my my mantis for several months now with no problems....
Old 04-25-2004, 08:55 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

How big is the tank? I don't know about food, but you probably can't even support him space-wise.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:52 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey again all. I just wanted to clear some things up.

Being new to this great hobby I have found out that that in alot of cases that there are different opinions. Probably 80% of the people I talk to give me different advice than the next guy. I would never want to have something in the tank that would not be able to make it. I would never be cruel like that. On the other hand I wouldnt want to get rid of anything that did'nt have to go.

Kevin: I am very sorry if I offended you with my last post. I have read alot on this forum, and alot that you have said , and take it very seriously. To be honest this site scared the living daylight out of me. My first thought was: What have I got myself into with this saltwater hobby. Needless to say I love it. This is an invaluable forum, and is my life line for help. I honestly believe Kevin that you know what you talking about. I should have written the question differently. Like I explained earlier. Am very sorry if I came across like a Butt!! I am really an easy going person, and not most of the time.

Now as for the HS crab: I have told my wife that it will have to go soon. I am a native of Fla. and visit every year. Every year the beach is full of dead HS crabs. I just didnt know how they did in relation to a tank.

As for my tank: It is about 4 weeks old. It is 75g, 105pds of live rock, and at least a 4 inch cc and sand bottom. I think that I am at the ens of the cycling process. The Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate are all at 0. The salt level is good, and the PH is 8.2.
Is it possible that the tank is at the end of the cycling process? Some rust algae has got preety bad the last couple of days. But I cleaned and did a 15% water change.

Again all, Thanks alot for your advice!! I am sorry if I offended anyone.

Blessings!
Old 04-26-2004, 12:59 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
If your levels are at zero, sounds like you are at the end of your cycle

Tags
crab

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com