Horseshoe Crab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

revhtree

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought a horseshoe crab, before I knew all the info about them. (newb)

Anyway, I have had it for about 4 weeks, and I dont lnow if it is dying or molting. It shell looks a bit crusty, it is on it's back, and is barely moving. It doesnt look good, what do you think?

Thanks Again. :wink:

dont know weather or not its molting.... but if you want your sand bed to be populated with fauna you should take it back to the LFS

I would say it is dying, which was going to happen sooner or later anyway. They are not meant for captive systems.

Is it possible for a horseshoe crab to be killed by anemone? Before I saw it stuck in my anemone, and the tentacles were touching the underbelly of the crab. I qt'd him last night and this morning he was still barely moving his feet (whatever), and he was laying on his back. Did I do right by removing him? If he dies in the main tank that could hurt the water parameters right?

Thanks. :(

It is more than possible for the anemone to have stung the crab. Horseshoe's are increadibley clumbsy swimmers and often get themselves wedged in rock or become food.
As far as what transfering has done that will depend on the parameters and the acclimation. Having something that small pass on in a 75 gal tank shouldn't really do much. The bugs and worms would finish it off in no time.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom