Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-24-2013, 04:03 PM   #1

I introduced a yellow watchman goby to my 20 long on friday and and added a pistol shrimp on saturday, the shrimp has found a rock he likes that has a bunch of holes in it and all he does is dig caves throughout the sand, the entrance to his layer being the hole in the rock. All my goby does is hide inside another rock and never comes out unless i put food next to his cave. I have rescaped the tank 3 times already but the shrimp always goes back to the hole and the goby just stays at the back of the tank. Any ideas on how i can get these guys to pair up?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1008725302.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	213428  

Old 12-26-2013, 07:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

They should run into each other eventually. Mine took about 3 weeks and the shrimp literally bumped into my hi fin banded when I was feeding and they've been together ever since

Old 12-26-2013, 07:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You should stop rescaping. That just makes the watchman get scared. Let them get used to the tank and then they will find each other.
Then you can rescape all you want.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman007 View Post
I introduced a yellow watchman goby to my 20 long on friday and and added a pistol shrimp on saturday, the shrimp has found a rock he likes that has a bunch of holes in it and all he does is dig caves throughout the sand, the entrance to his layer being the hole in the rock. All my goby does is hide inside another rock and never comes out unless i put food next to his cave. I have rescaped the tank 3 times already but the shrimp always goes back to the hole and the goby just stays at the back of the tank. Any ideas on how i can get these guys to pair up?
Well when I introduced my shrimp to my goby, I lowered him with a net to the hole where my goby was. They paired up instantly. But like others have said, they'll probably pair up eventually. Pistol shrimp are very industrious little critters and will dig throughout most of the tank. It's only a matter of time until they find each other.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131226_200753.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	213713
Old 12-26-2013, 10:55 PM   #5

Thanks for all the help, actually the goby paired up w/the shrimp this morning!
Old 03-04-2014, 06:43 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Mines took about a week to find each other but they eventually paired up
Old 03-04-2014, 06:02 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

My gobie use to hide all the time to. after about 3 or 4 month he started coming out more and more he now comes out daily. At first I was thinking I made a mistake I thought I bought a fish I would never see now it's all good besides him a my pistol tearing up all the sand under my rocks and me having to straighten them back up every week lol

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com