Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-14-2013, 11:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmckoy View Post

Stress coat is acceptable for FW but when we are trying for 0 TDS stress coat and many other conditioners actually makes municipal water worse .
Alright thanks. I will get prime then

Old 10-14-2013, 11:17 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:

Stress coat is acceptable for FW but when we are trying for 0 TDS stress coat and many other conditioners actually makes municipal water worse .
I knew someone would mention wanting 0 tds... The reason you're looking for 0tds is to remove anything harmful from water such as heavy metals, nitrates, phosphates, or any other unhappy substances. Prime contains nothing harmful so theres absolutely no need to worry about it causing any imbalances in your system or promoting algae growth.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post

I knew someone would mention wanting 0 tds... The reason you're looking for 0tds is to remove anything harmful from water such as heavy metals, nitrates, phosphates, or any other unhappy substances. Prime contains nothing harmful so theres absolutely no need to worry about it causing any imbalances in your system or promoting algae growth.
Ok i will get some later thanks!
Old 10-14-2013, 11:37 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
[QUOTE][
Many reef aquarium keepers use reverse osmosis systems for their artificial mixture of seawater. Ordinary tap water can often contain excessive chlorine, chloramines, copper, nitrates, nitrites, phosphates, silicates, or many other chemicals detrimental to the sensitive organisms in a reef environment. Contaminants such as nitrogen compounds and phosphates can lead to excessive, and unwanted, algae growth. An effective combination of both reverse osmosis and deionization (RO/DI) is the most popular among reef aquarium keepers, and is preferred above other water purification processes due to the low cost of ownership and minimal operating costs. Where chlorine and chloramines are found in the water, carbon filtration is needed before the membrane, as the common residential membrane used by reef keepers does not cope with these compounds.
/QUOTE]
Any good quality RO/DI filter will contain a carbon filter that will remove chloramines.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:27 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Again. Just because it has a carbon membrane doesnt mean itll pull chloramines out. If that was the case, BRS wouldnt offer dedicated units for chloramine removal
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:03 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by huma-huma View Post
Again. Just because it has a carbon membrane doesnt mean itll pull chloramines out. If that was the case, BRS wouldnt offer dedicated units for chloramine removal
Chloramines are harder to get rid of then chlorine .
It doesn't dissipate , evaporate ,
Takes longer to dissolve ,
Causes health issues ,
This is why a lot of places don't use it
Old 10-14-2013, 07:17 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
Quote:
Chloramines are harder to get rid of then chlorine . It doesn't dissipate , evaporate , Takes longer to dissolve , Causes health issues , This is why a lot of places don't use it
If it's not removing the chloramines wouldn't my fish and corals die?
Old 10-14-2013, 07:18 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezy33

If it's not removing the chloramines wouldn't my fish and corals die?
No. They say that it can affect livestock over time but its not something that is lethal to the point it kills things off in days or even weeks
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:44 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

On the subject of chlorimines. I am a pool and spa guy and deal with chlorimines quite often. Chlorimines also known as combined chlorine is the result of free chlorine mixing with ammonia or nitrates and creating a chlorimine gas which is not a big deal in an open air environment where the gas can be gassed off however if the gas is trapped in the water source then chlorimines or combined chlorine is created. Chlorimines are not active sanitizers so water treatment plants do not or rather can not treat drinking water with it. It is simply the result of chlorimine gas being trapped in the water being treated. The best example I can give of this would be an indoor pool. Even if a pool had a ridiculous amount of free chlorine but no combined chlorine you wouldn't smell it but with indoor pools chlorine is often smelled because ventilation for the structure is less than adequate and the chlorimine gas never fully removed from the building
Old 10-14-2013, 10:53 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcmcoker View Post
On the subject of chlorimines. I am a pool and spa guy and deal with chlorimines quite often. Chlorimines also known as combined chlorine is the result of free chlorine mixing with ammonia or nitrates and creating a chlorimine gas which is not a big deal in an open air environment where the gas can be gassed off however if the gas is trapped in the water source then chlorimines or combined chlorine is created. Chlorimines are not active sanitizers so water treatment plants do not or rather can not treat drinking water with it. It is simply the result of chlorimine gas being trapped in the water being treated. The best example I can give of this would be an indoor pool. Even if a pool had a ridiculous amount of free chlorine but no combined chlorine you wouldn't smell it but with indoor pools chlorine is often smelled because ventilation for the structure is less than adequate and the chlorimine gas never fully removed from the building
Pool and spa guy ?
I manufacture pools .

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com