Hos to get rid of chloramines?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not saying youre lying but here in sw pa, we were told that "american water began adding chloramine to our potable drinking water"... If thats true, then its got to serve some sort of function or purpose

I'll suspect the make chloramine filters for fresh water fish keepers that don't want to treat every gallon of water they use. Say like a breeder or a LFS. Back before chloramines some twenty plus years ago I used photographic hypo to remove chlorine from fresh water at one drop per gallon in the aquarium. After the addition of chloramines I used two drops per gallon and treated the water before adding it to the aquarium. Where can I get a chloramine test kit for aquariums? I repaired a hot tub a long time ago!

Last edited:
Not saying youre lying but here in sw pa, we were told that "american water began adding chloramine to our potable drinking water"... If thats true, then its got to serve some sort of function or purpose

It's only used in the us and some provinces in western Canada .
It's not good at all ,
Read about it ,
When something causes breathing issues . Like toxic showers ?
Google chloramines and toxic shower .
Wow !!
Is all I'll say

Dont beieve they make a consumer chloramine test kit. Sure they make a commercial one but its prob insanely expensive

Well like I said I'm a recreational water expert not a municipal water expert. My original statement was not to say that chlorimines are not a bad thing or something to not worry about. I was simply shedding some light on what chlorimines are. In my industry chlorimines would never be able to accommodate the pools chlorine demand. As your EPA article states chlorimines are primarily used as a secondary disinfectant if they are used at all because they have such little disinfecting power. I made the mistake of assuming that water treatment company's would not purposely use them as disinfectants but they were simply a by product. I can understand the use of them because like your article says chlorimines do last forever compared to free chlorine which burns off very very quickly, and no I don't mean literally forever but chlorimines are extremely long lasting and difficult to remove. To give you an idea of how ineffective they are, you could have a pool with 100ppm combined chlorine and no choline demand on the pool at all and you would still have an extremely cloudy pool that would take weeks to clear up as opposed to a pool with just 1ppm free chlorine that with the same chlorine demand would be perfectly clear

I was just confused on the matter myself, so i figured a google search was in my nearest future lol. Also i came across an article that said that Prime actually breaks the bond between the ammonia and chlorine, which in essence breaks down chloramine. Dont know the effectiveness pf it but thats what i read, also it says that one should be able to determine the presence pf chloramine by adding prime, then testing for aonia.

I see that many here are big fans of prime, I'm using it myself but does anyone have any experience with paradigm from ATM. At least I think that's their conditioner product. I might just be a sucker for good advertising but I've watched all the videos for all of atm's products and they seem like pretty awesome and well researched products

All the conditioners are primarily made to do a single job which prime does exceedingly well for low cost.

I seriously doubt you will see a noticable difference by using a different conditioner.

I realize all conditioners are meant to do the same thing it's just how they accomplish the job. I was impressed by paradigm because it is completely all natural and also contains aloe Vera and vitamin c

watch out if you run a skimmer. Prime won't overload it, but some of the other conditioners will.

Back
Top Bottom