Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-28-2005, 11:24 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

hot clownfish

two days ago my heater started acting up. It over heated the tank to 85-88 degrees( my temp gage is a little hard to read ) I turned the heater down and the temp dropped back down to 80. My fish were in active eventhough the temp dropped. Some time during the night the heater quit working and the tank was 75. My fish are back to there normal selves. Do you think it took them 48 hrs to recooperate or do you think they like the cooler temp?

Old 11-28-2005, 11:42 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

First I would seriously consider getting a new heater. The Visi Therm heater made by marineland has an adjustable thermostate- is very inexpensive online and works extrememly well. While your fish will likely be fine normal tempature fluctuations can cause a lot of serious problems and eventually kill your fish. It may have taken your fish 48 hrs to recover but no doubt a high temp of 88 seriously stressed them.

Old 11-28-2005, 12:06 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

yea I am gonna get a new heater. I had 2 spare heaters that were for 30g tanks so I put them in the tank. I know this can only be temporary but I figuired it would be better than nothing. my tank is 125g. I have a kiddo sick with the flu so I won't be able to get out until later.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
Quote:
Originally Posted by macman7010
First I would seriously consider getting a new heater. The Visi Therm heater made by marineland has an adjustable thermostate- is very inexpensive online and works extrememly well. While your fish will likely be fine normal tempature fluctuations can cause a lot of serious problems and eventually kill your fish. It may have taken your fish 48 hrs to recover but no doubt a high temp of 88 seriously stressed them.
Visi Therm with external adjuster is a very nice product. I would purchase no other heater. 100 % satisfied.

Your fish probably are stressed from going over 10 degrees of temperature changes that quickly. You do not want your temps changing anymore that 1-2 degrees.

I suggest you go purchase a heater today at your LFS. I like to keep mine around 80-81.
3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clown, clownfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com