Hot Glue Gun

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cybercron

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was wondering if anyone has used a Hot Glue Gun for gluing various objects in their tank. The glue resembles plastic when cool. It does not contain any drying agents.

Thanks,

Van

hot glue gun...

I've never tried it, so maybe someone else has a different opinion, but I would advice against it. My experience has shown hot glued items to not hold up so well in such conditions. I'm not sure what is in those glue sticks and that is an important thing to know. Most people would use aquarium sealer that you can get at your lfs or a walmart. It works well but for the tiny tube you get, it's a lot of money in my opinion... You can also use silicone from the hardware store... You just have to make sure that it is clear, %100 silicone with nothing else added. If you read the tube I believe it says that it's not for things that are going to stay submerged but believe me, from experience, it will work... and I can say for sure it will work better than hot glue. The stuff at the hardware store is cheaper than the aquarium sealer... It's affordable... what does everyone else think?

SuperGlue Gel is what 95% of us use to attach corals and such.

Hot glue gun would not work anyway because it is too hot when applied and would kill tissue.... The glue is really melted plastic anyway... It would pop right off with ease....

Maybe for glueing rocks together but definatly not corals. I agree with tim. Two part epoxy or gel superglue is the materal most of us use when afixing things. If your talking corals you can even go the no glue route by just having something losely hold it do the rock surface.

If your not wanting to spring for an underwater epoxy I would use rubberbands or zipties over hot glue for a temporary hold.

Underwater epoxy is like 3 bucks a tube @ Wal-Mart..
USe the right stuff for the right job..
Sometimes you need to do it the right way and not cut corners...

I used hot glue to make a screen to protect my condy's from my power head. It works just fine. As long as your using it to glue a non living thing I see no problems with it.

Back
Top Bottom