hot reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReefGuru

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys,
I am having a serious problem with my reef. A while ago, I have updated my lighting, and well, its POWERFUL. My tank is now running very hot. 86F to be percise. It is a 55 gallon aquarium. It will "soon" be a 120 gallon aquarium. So, I need a chiller. I cannot avoid it, so I want suggestiongs as to which one to get. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Andrej

I can't be any help in picking out a chiller, but i was wondering what have you done to get the temp down so far?

Have you tried blowing fans across the surface of your water? It will increase evaporation, but I have heard of it reducting temp by more than 5 degrees.

Two 4" fans in the canopy, one blowing in, one out and a cheapy desk fan underneath and I am steady at 80 to 82 degrees in steamy South Florida.

So far I have taken of the lids of the aquarium, and there is one fan blowing on the MH that are hanging 12 inches above the aquarium. I have just bought another 2 fans on ebay, and what I think I will do is blow one across the other side of the lights, and blow one across the surface of the water that is being rippled by a powerhead and the return. I will also move the MH balast from inside the stand and put it to the side. We will see how all that works. That should get it to acceptable levels, but, I still think I will eventually need a chiller, because my tank is in the basement, and the way my HVAC is designed, it is actually warmer in my basement in the winter. So can you guys give me some tips as to which chillers you prefer?
Andrej

I took an induct fan and I juts mounted it to my canopy and it cools the water alot with my vho lights and I only use 1 fan! :)

Back
Top Bottom