Hot tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ByzantineWV

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a metal halide light on my tank with no legs right now. My problem is that I leave my light on for 6 hrs at a time and by the time I turn my light off the temp. is 85-87. My light has one fan that I turn on an hour before the lights kick on and runs for 2 hrs after the light goes off.

I have a metal halide light on my tank with no legs right now. My problem is that I leave my light on for 6 hrs at a time and by the time I turn my light off the temp. is 85-87. My light has one fan that I turn on an hour before the lights kick on and runs for 2 hrs after the light goes off.

Fans can help but ultimately it sounds like you need a chiller or a/c. If a window a/c unit would work in the room where your tank is I would go with that. Keep yourself AND your tank cool. We have had upper 90's to near 100F temps this summer and never had a problem with a/c and fans.

Before trying a chiller, vent your hood as much as possible, and if you have room, add a 6 inch clip on fan pointed at the water, this will encourage evaporation which will cool the tank. I can keep my 20L at 76 to 78 degrees with one clip on fan and I have a 250w MH.

what size tank do you have? I run 2 x 250 MH four inches off my water on my 125 and have just 1 clip on fan that keeps it 78.5 to 79. Have my fan and heaters on a Ranco temp controller

Holygral said:
what size tank do you have? I run 2 x 250 MH four inches off my water on my 125 and have just 1 clip on fan that keeps it 78.5 to 79. Have my fan and heaters on a Ranco temp controller

How high above aquarium is your light?

The light has no legs right now it's just sitting on top of the tank

ByzantineWV said:
The light has no legs right now it's just sitting on top of the tank

Id definately raise it up a lil airspace between the light and water itll drop a few degrees easily if not more that way and also keep your light free of excess salt

crack the lid and put a fan blowing in the back of tank
blow out the heat
I got a big improvement getting heat out of tank everything seems happier and not cooking

54seaweed said:
crack the lid and put a fan blowing in the back of tank
blow out the heat
I got a big improvement getting heat out of tank everything seems happier and not cooking

You have a lid over the tank??

yes I do
its a glass top , I have it to keep cats out of my tanks and my fish in , my dart fish are jumpers and my snails always wanted out so now everyone stays in the tank
I have a comp fan built into a bio-filter lid blowing in , crack lid about a 1/4 inch and haven't had a heat issue since .
it brings in cool air blowing out the hot air , it works great
as for bio filter it is packed with cheato rather than filter media houses pods and releases them as they will

I keep my lights about 6 inch off top of tank
I have 2 aqua-life dual fixture t-5 lights 2 10k day spectrum and 2 blues and a blue/red led strip with 15 bulbs
the led strip also has a air stone in it I keep it mounted a inch above the water pumping in more cool air with a small air pump , it never touches the water seems to help disperse the hot air out of tank
I've been thinking of adding 1 of these on back of tank http://aquatek-california.com/cooling-fan-series/#4-fan

Back
Top Bottom