House Brine shrimp in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JJ-MIK

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can you successfully house brine in your tank or fuge. Like the copepod? I researched a little and it's a 50/50 draw.. Everyone that says no is because of the egg shells.. What if I hatch them first then put in the fuge? Anyone ever try this?

Nobody has ever said yes they live and work. Nor said no they all die....

JJ-MIK said:
Can you successfully house brine in your tank or fuge. Like the copepod? I researched a little and it's a 50/50 draw.. Everyone that says no is because of the egg shells.. What if I hatch them first then put in the fuge? Anyone ever try this?

Problem is brine shrimp are a poor choice when it comes to nutrition for you tank inhabitants.. they only are of value within the first 48 hours when their egg sack is still attached. To gut load them would require an additional setup because of the amount feeding and the amount of waste created by them.. mysis is better alternative but to sustain a proper population of them requires a large system dedicated to rearing them through the stages as well as creating your own planktonic food to feed them... its much cheaper just to purchase it frozen.. if what your looking for is healthy food for your fish and coral I'd suggest making your own food .. which many in the forum do, including myself.

Here is my recipe for success:

3 large raw shrimp
3 mussels or clams
6 scollps
2 sheets of sushi nori
4 ounce portion of white fish.. ( anything on sale) I stay away from larger types of fish due to toxins.
1 glove of garlic

I blend it all together put in a large zip lock container and use a rolling pin to flattin it out. It usally costs around 20$ for it all but lasts over 6 months for me.. I take out about a quarter size piece every two days and thaw in tank water toss the excess water and dump it.. works great and has for the past few years.. good luck

That sounds like a pretty good plate of sushi for me!! Lol but I might try that! I was just wondering about the brine tho. Maybe a little mix up of live food for the kids. I'm just in my starting process. But want an all out tank

JJ-MIK said:
That sounds like a pretty good plate of sushi for me!! Lol but I might try that! I was just wondering about the brine tho. Maybe a little mix up of live food for the kids. I'm just in my starting process. But want an all out tank

Well good luck hope you stick around and fish around for more information.. no pun intended

I raise brine ,mysiss , and pods

but always had issues keeping the brine alive more than a few days and they get stinky fast
need constant water changes
if your really wanting to raise live feeders I would say mysiss and pods , they both are almost self sustaining and multiply fast
they require a strong flow and do best with just about all macros

On. Thank you! What about hatching the brine and freezing them? Is there a certain solution do do so. Or just some freshwater or saltwater?

Back
Top Bottom