House of clams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gregcoyote

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am enjoying raising my first clams after decades of reef keeping. My frag tanks host them as my main reef has too many fish that pester clams.
I have a 4" Squamosa that is doing great, but made the mistake of buying a tiny maxima and obviously didn't feed it successfully. I will buy a bigger clam the next time that isn't as dependent on filter feeding. Where are the best deals on clams?

Update, since the tiny maxima clam died a few months ago, it was replaced with a 4" blue crocea clam. Both clams are now growing, but I also pumped the light up to 600 PAR. So far so good.

How long did you have the tiny maxima before it died?

He was a rescue from the LFS as he wasn't fully opening there. Guess they had him a couple of weeks. He did fully open for me but suddenly died a few weeks later. I did feed him reef chili and gave him about 400 PAR, which wasn't enough light and I suspect reef chili isn't optimum clam food.

I'm a little late to the game, since your original post was back in February... But, Pacific East Aquaculture usually has a great selection! I have a Squamosa from them that has done great! I checked their site, and they don't have any clams available now, but keep an eye on them, they usually have quite a selection! All this is said with the thought that you are still interested in expanding your clam collection 2 months after you asked... :)

I'm a little late to the game, since your original post was back in February... But, Pacific East Aquaculture usually has a great selection! I have a Squamosa from them that has done great! I checked their site, and they don't have any clams available now, but keep an eye on them, they usually have quite a selection! All this is said with the thought that you are still interested in expanding your clam collection 2 months after you asked... :)

I really like my Squamosa. It is pretty obvious even early on that they are easier to grow than the others.

I learned two lessons. Start with a clam over 3" and start with an easy one.

I asked because I picked up a gold maxima a few weeks ago and a littler over a week it died.. It was under two inches and I 1) didn't feed it and 2) probably didn't give it near enough light.. I read a bunch about how small clams needed less light because their mantels aren't as thick and could burn, but after it died I started reading about keep small clams under really intense light and doing great.. Also, when I bought it it wasn't fully open, and only once kind of fully opened for me.. So I don't know what kind of shape it was in.. Either way, can't wait to get another one, ill just make sure it is a little bigger :)

Back
Top Bottom