Houston, We have a problem.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angeladawng

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can't for the life of me figure out what is going on here...will try to make it quick:

have had my tank up for a few months now with no problems in my parameters until the past week or so. Have been doing 15 gallon water changes every week since the start.

I top off with distilled water and get saltwater for changes from local LFS. I can't afford a RO/DI system and have no idea how to set one up or use it anyway.

here's the basics:

75 gallon tank, 25 pounds live rock and 50 pounds of base rock, 2 Koralia 1050 pumps, seaclone 100 skimmer, Emporer 400 HOB filter running w/o biowheels...only the replacement cartridges that come in packs of 2 for that filter(blue fuzzy stuff on one side, carbon on other) and I also have 2 bags of chemi-pure, one in each side.

Ammonia .25
Nitrite 0
Ph 8.1
Nitrate 30-40

I can't get my ammo and nitrates down at all...I have done 2 water changes this week and 2 last week, including getting new cartridges for the HOB and 2 new bags of chemi-pure since it is supposed to bring down nitrates. I cut back to only feeding every other day and I only feed one cube of frozen mysis and a pinch of flake food.

The live rock has some coralline on it and some green macro but not much since I had a copperband and he picked the live rock to death. The base rock is covered in a brown/rust colored algae...I am thinking diatoms but there is absolutely NONE on the sand or live rock...only the base rock and back wall of the tank.

stock list:

1 clown
2 green chromis
3 blue sapphire damsels
2 bangii cardinals
1 white tail tang
2 hermit crabs
1 astrea snail
3 nassarius snails

so much for being quick :ermm:

My best suggestion would be to test the water your doing your water changes with. If I was u I would invest ina ro/di system and making your own water and topping off with only ro/di. Good luck

angeladawng said:
Can't for the life of me figure out what is going on here...will try to make it quick:

have had my tank up for a few months now with no problems in my parameters until the past week or so. Have been doing 15 gallon water changes every week since the start.

I top off with distilled water and get saltwater for changes from local LFS. I can't afford a RO/DI system and have no idea how to set one up or use it anyway.

here's the basics:

75 gallon tank, 25 pounds live rock and 50 pounds of base rock, 2 Koralia 1050 pumps, seaclone 100 skimmer, Emporer 400 HOB filter running w/o biowheels...only the replacement cartridges that come in packs of 2 for that filter(blue fuzzy stuff on one side, carbon on other) and I also have 2 bags of chemi-pure, one in each side.

Ammonia .25
Nitrite 0
Ph 8.1
Nitrate 30-40

I can't get my ammo and nitrates down at all...I have done 2 water changes this week and 2 last week, including getting new cartridges for the HOB and 2 new bags of chemi-pure since it is supposed to bring down nitrates. I cut back to only feeding every other day and I only feed one cube of frozen mysis and a pinch of flake food.

The live rock has some coralline on it and some green macro but not much since I had a copperband and he picked the live rock to death. The base rock is covered in a brown/rust colored algae...I am thinking diatoms but there is absolutely NONE on the sand or live rock...only the base rock and back wall of the tank.

stock list:

1 clown
2 green chromis
3 blue sapphire damsels
2 bangii cardinals
1 white tail tang
2 hermit crabs
1 astrea snail
3 nassarius snails

Better skimmer would help alot i had a seaclone on my 55g it didn do well for me probably not pulling out protiens which is causeing ammonia

angeladawng said:

here's the basics:

Ammonia .25
Nitrite 0
Ph 8.1
Nitrate 30-40

stock list:

1 clown
2 green chromis
3 blue sapphire damsels
2 bangii cardinals
1 white tail tang
2 hermit crabs
1 astrea snail
3 nassarius snails

As for nitrates macroalgae to consume them

angeladawng said:
If I buy some chaeto, where can I put it? I don't have a fuge or a sump. Can it go right in the display tank?

Never went that route could work what about a reactor with biopellets takes a month to be effective tho

just ordered some chaeto from liveaquaria...will have it Wednesday...going to do another pwc tomorrow after work...wonder how long it will take to start gobbling up trates.....

angeladawng said:
just ordered some chaeto from liveaquaria...will have it Wednesday...going to do another pwc tomorrow after work...wonder how long it will take to start gobbling up trates.....

You can get yourself a unit off eBay I bought it and it works wonders hooked it up to my faucet In my back yard

http://r.ebay.com/xtFR23

It's 66 bucks shipped makes pure water 0 ppm

you can put it in your tank in a cave or behind the live rock or even in the crevices
I like how it looks and inverts love it

img_2206367_0_c07204aea3886b6562aa08066fd5c8e1.jpg

I also use it in a hob filter to house pods

my nitrates stay at a steady 1 ppm

you can put it in your tank in a cave or behind the live rock or even in the crevices
I like how it looks and inverts love it

img_2207179_0_c07204aea3886b6562aa08066fd5c8e1.jpg

I also use it in a hob filter to house pods

my nitrates stay at a steady 1 ppm

First of all....your tank is GORGEOUS!!

I can't wait to get it...I ordered a half pound so that should be a fairly good amount....do you just pull it apart and stick it in places you want it? I have never done live plants in a tank before so I have no idea what I am doing. Also, can I stick some in HOB filter?? it says it needs light and there isn't any in there. I don't have a sump or a fuge....just the skimmer and HOB emporer filter. How long will it take before I notice a drop in nitrates? I know that regular outside plant life needs "pollution" to survive so I am assuming that aquatic plants are the same way. Sorry if I sound like an idiot :(

angeladawng said:

here's the basics:

Ammonia .25
Nitrite 0
Ph 8.1
Nitrate 30-40

stock list:

1 clown
2 green chromis
3 blue sapphire damsels
2 bangii cardinals
1 white tail tang
2 hermit crabs
1 astrea snail
3 nassarius snails

I am a bit concerned with the ammonia, doesn't take but a trace to ruin the day of your average coral. I agree with the above comments, would check to see if the skimmer is doing its job properly. Most effective thing you can do is water changes with pure RO/DI water and good salt mix.

rather than finding a way to reduce, you need to find a cause. Cheato is not going to fix a nitrate problem. You mentioned a hang on the back filter? If you have filter media in that and do not change it every 2 or 3 days, it will become a nitrate factory. Also if the cheato does not have enough lighting, it will die off and contribute to the problem. The seaclone skimmer will do very little as far as a skimmer.

Holygral said:
rather than finding a way to reduce, you need to find a cause. Cheato is not going to fix a nitrate problem. You mentioned a hang on the back filter? If you have filter media in that and do not change it every 2 or 3 days, it will become a nitrate factory. Also if the cheato does not have enough lighting, it will die off and contribute to the problem. The seaclone skimmer will do very little as far as a skimmer.

Doesn seem to be an overstocking issue maybe perhaps overfeeding without an adequate skimmer a good skimmer will pull out the protiens that cause your ammonia thats probably why your trates are so high your bb are converting alot of ammonia i do agree with hob filter causing high nitrates as well if not cleaned often but i really contribute ammonia to inadequate skimming chaeto needs light and it will start consuming nitrate quickly / good skimmer weekly water changes macro algae = 0 ammonia 0 nitrate

Back
Top Bottom