how about the "Via-Aqua" protein skimmers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

runway1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can anybody offer comments on the "Via-Aqua" brand protein skimmers? Looking for an economical, but worthwhile skimmer for a 55 gal tank.

Thanks all.

Skip it. They are about as good a a prizm. A CPR Bak Pak is a good less exspensive skimmer. A aquac remora is a little better but costs more as well.

Looks like a standard counter current / venturi style skimmer. Similar in design to a Precision Marine HOT1, or an Excalibur HV1. Except those are HOBs, and that goes in a sump, but its the same thing.

I do question that fact that the auction says wet/dry when it has NOTHING to do with a wet/dry, and also that the auction says Rio 600 in one sport, and Rio 800 in another. Also they show two pics of the collection cup and neither one has any actually skimmate in it.

How big of a sump do you have to put the skimmer in? Got tank pics? :p

Good points, grimlock. I noticed the same things myself. Especially the pump error. I checked feedback comments and saw a couple of "great product" comments on the skimmer so I figured for $80 (shipped), I'll take a shot.

I'm converting a 55 fw to sw so I don't have pics yet. I'll use my wet/dry for a sump. It came off of a 125 sw so it's more than sufficient. I'm thinking I'll mount it beside the wet/dry anyhow but I'm not sure on that yet.

Q; what do you mean by "skimmate"? I see a lot of foam in the last pic. Thanks for the input. I'll let you know how this thing fares.

The stuff in that pic is foam, once the foam start collecting in the cup, you get skimmate. Efficiency of the skimmer determines the type of skimmate you get (dark + nasty + smelly = better). This is skimmate, start collecting after a few days of using a skimmer:

rem0.jpg

And that is from 15g tank! :p Once you start collecting skimmate from your own tank, most people are like, "WTH that junk was in my tank???"

I think that skimmer will work good for you, the basic design of countercurrent venturi skimmer is hard to mess up, and works quiet well.

WOW. Thanks a lot! I didn't know these things. That helps a bunch.

Back
Top Bottom