Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-01-2004, 10:46 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How big should the sump be ??

I'm planning of building a small sump for my 60 gallon tank but I don't have much space under on my stand.

What's the minimum size my sump should be ???

YellowTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 02:24 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
What's the minimum size my sump should be ???
Just large enough to hold all the equipment you plan on putting in it, I've not seen anyone use less than a 10g tank, I personally would get the largest I had room for.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 01:24 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Sump size

If you use a submersible pump, you can have a sump use up nearly all the available space. Most LFS can arrange to build a cheap glass tank to any specified size.

Bigger is better. For safety, you'll only want run the sump 1/2 full...or a least empty enough to hold water that flows backward from the tank in the event of power failure. There's another discussion on this somewhere...

I've got a 2' x 16" x 18" sump wedged into a 2' x 2' x 2' space. Plan, plan, plan and plan more...then do. To the inch, things are spec'd out so that I can remove and access everything.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com