Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-24-2002, 01:31 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to rthoman Send a message via MSN to rthoman Send a message via Yahoo to rthoman
How can I get frags from a mushroom rock?

I just got a mushroom rock, and I wanna give a frag to a friend. What would be the best way to do this? It is a metallic blue mushroom. Has anyone ever fragged one?

Old 08-25-2002, 07:37 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

hmmmm, I've never fragged a shroom, they tend to do that for themselves...prolifically. You may not be able to give your friend some immediately, but eventually you will. just put some rubble next to the shroom rock and it will eventually spread. You can hurry it up by cutting the shroom , making small lacerations to the disc, it will continue the tear all on it's own, making 2 shrooms or three, etc...

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 06:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to rthoman Send a message via MSN to rthoman Send a message via Yahoo to rthoman
well i found a good way to get frags off the shroom rock, but not a very good idea. I noticed things in my tank weren't looking so good. I looked at the temp it wasn't even registering since mine only shows between 70 and 85. My temp was above 85. My roomate turned off the AC and the temp shot way up. I'm guessing the shrooms did not like this since a lot of them detached themselves from the rock. I have been sticking them back on, i hope that they will reattach. I gave one to my friend. I pointed the powerhead twards the back so it wont bother the shrooms till they attach themselves back to the rock.
Old 08-28-2002, 06:54 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I have heard people using bridal veil and wrapping it so the shroom is kept in contact with the rock.

It will attach in a few days.

Then take the veil off.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 07:18 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
Since your original post I did an experiment to propogate some blue shrooms I have. I used to simply let them multiply where they will but in order to have some experience to share I tried the following.

I used a tweezers and firmly (really firmly, these are a little slippery) ripped a large mushroom from a rock. The gut was visible underneath (white stringy stuff). I attached it to a rock with a rubber band holding it in two places. It attached lightly in, a couple days, enough to remove the rubber band and it held (so far).

I used a new razor blade on another one, slicing as close to the rock as I could. I tried to hold this one with a rubber band as well but it wriggled free and floated off. I then used bridal veil to hold it to a rock (using a rubber band to hold the bridal veil) until it attaches.

Conclusion:
The razor blade worked better to seperate the mushroom from the rock (with less damage IMO).
A rubber band works to hold the mushroom in place but they will wriggle free and float away if they don't attach quickly. I recomemnd bridal veil.
No glue was used in either since I haven't had luck in the past holding soft organisms with glue (they hold for a day and then seperate from the glue).

Mark

Tags
frag, frags, mushroom, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com