How can I get my Calcium levels where they need to be?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishAddict413

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone. I am having trouble getting my calcium level above 360-380. My PH is 7.8-8.0, Nitrate 0, nitrite 0, ammonia 0, phosphate 0, carbonate hardness 11. I have added Kent marine 2 part calcium supplement daily and also the probuffer my kent marine. That did not get it above 380. I tried, on my last PWC, Caribsea, RO re-mineralizer Aragamite. I use RO/DI water and only have a condy anemone i just added, and live rock with a couple of sea rods. I don't have corals where it would be using an abundant amount of calcium. Does anyone have any ideas on why I can't get my calcium level over 400? I would like to get in in the 420-450 range so I can add some corals. Thanks.

Instant Ocean Sea Salt. I don't test for magnesium because the test kit is $30 in my area. I just add the aragamite to my RO/DI water.

I agree with Larry that your calcium is fine where it is. PWC`s should replenish all your trace elements needed.

I only have live rock, a couple of sea rods, a condy anemone right now. I just want to get my parameters right so I can add some corals. Shouldn't my caclium level be higher than 360 when I do a water change?

I agree that your calcium is not that low, but I understand why you would like to raise it up a little before you get into stony corals. If I were you I would get Coralife Saltmix for you next few water changes, that stuff is a bit high in CA and cheap. You should be able to pick up a single bag of it for around $15. Then you will be able to get closer to 420ppm and you can stop dosing the calcium supplement until you have lots of stony coral. If you plan on keeping coral, you will need to break down and spend the $30 on a Salifert or Elos Mg kit. If your mag is too low then that will inhibit you from rasing the Ca in your tank.

Back
Top Bottom