Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-02-2005, 09:54 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Here ya go
www.garf.org/NORM/coralline/corallinenorm.html

125# LR,
CC Sub,
Koralin Clacium Reactor,
Ramora Pro Skimmer,
20 Gal. Refugium w/LS and 20 Red Mangroves
Acraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 09:55 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

The most perfect balance of Ca & Alk won't introduce coraline to a tank that was started with base rock or without seed spores of the coraline. If he has coraline and it isn't growing fast that's one thing, but I was under the impression that he had no color to his rocks at all... That would imply a lack of the coraline algae in his system to start with. I do agree with what you said though, if in fact the coraline is present in his system.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 03:31 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to StripesTheEel
my calc is at about 400. i have mostly leathers because they are the only corals my emperor angel doesnt eat. i have x2 actinic blue and x1 white. i have a few rocks that have purple and oranges (coraline). just very unsure on how to promote its growth!
StripesTheEel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 08:28 AM   #14

phyl is correct, you need to have coralline spores in the tank to start producing that type of algae. it wont just appear because you up you calc and alk levels. of course, if it has already been introduced then higher levels will promote growth. coralline actually prefers lower light levels to grow, however once it starts, it will grow almost anywhere. the easiest thing to do is get someone else with a tank full of coralline algae and chip some off their rocks and sprinkle it into your tank. keep your calc and alk levels respectable and within a few months you should get good growth. dont think it will happen overnight though!!!
Old 06-03-2005, 10:03 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
The most perfect balance of Ca & Alk won't introduce coraline to a tank that was started with base rock or without seed spores of the coraline
I 100% agree with Phyl. The perfect ALK/CA balance is needed to promote coraline algea growth, however, if no coraline is present in the tank it will not grow. I would have www.liverocks.com send you 3 or four smaler rocks to seed your tank. Just call them and tell them what you want to do, they will not disapoint.
Old 06-04-2005, 06:48 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to StripesTheEel
lando.. i dont think they deliver to australia

ill have to source it locally i guess..
StripesTheEel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 09:46 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

if he was using just base rock then I agree with that. But IMO with lr even if you dont see any coraline it will grow. I had 125 lbs of bare LR when i started and it was gray/white and it took a long time but it grew. What I'm saying is that just because you don't see it that does not meat its there.
Stripes you need to check you alk also. Its a balance of alk and cal that helps it grow.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 04:16 AM   #18

are these available at the lfs or a special order from somewhere. i've looked but no success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie
Keep your calcium up. There are also coraline additives one can buy. I use "Purple Up" and "Coraline Stimulator." This helps my coraline grow thick and bright. 3 weeks after using this I started having coraline grow all over my tank. I'm not sure if it's sold in Australia though. HTH
92 gallon glass bow front corner tank. berlin hang on back protein skimmer, del rey 240 wet/dry, coralife turbo twist uv sterilizer, rio pumps, ebojager 250w, 4 power compacts, 2 36" flourescents. just getting back into the hobby after a few years. most equipment is old but will have to do since i got it. the only new piece is the uv.

[img=http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/8823/dsc060650aa.th.jpg]
allill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 01:23 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Morticus
Zack at lr.com said they they use Reef Advantage on their keys rock, it helps keep Cal and Alk up.

1.0 Albino Burmese Python
0.1 California Kingsnake
0.1 Ball Python
0.1 Amelystic Corn Snake
Morticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 02:48 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Brodie
Quote:
are these available at the lfs or a special order from somewhere. i've looked but no success.
Allill, I'd be more than happy to take a digital pic of it so you can see what the bottles look like, or if you can't find some where you're at, I'll buy a bottle and ship it to you if you pay for it..I would do it at cost.

Tags
colour

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com