how can i lower my pH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

packfan2204

Aquarium Advice Activist
Like i said, i need to lower my pH, it has been at 8.6 for awhile, and i've tried water changes, stopped adding vitamin c, haven't been dosing calcium or alkalinity, and still can't figure out why its so high!

What kind of water are you using? Tap? RO/DI? If it's tap water, what is the pH of the water you're using to do water changes? What is your alk level?

do you have adequate water flow? 10x the amount of the tank per hour. Are you checking during a photo period? Is the top covered? Lots of questions to be answered.

i'm running a 330gph and a 400gph, i am checking at 5:00pm with the lights on, and the top is covered

Do you test the pH of the ro/di water you get? What is the pH of your SW when freshly mixed? I would invest in an alkalinity kit, they come in handy even for FO tanks.

ok, i just checked alkalinity and its at 6.5meq/l!!! And my pH is still at 8.6. My LFS just now told me all i can do is to do a 50% water change(of course not all at once) and to still add buffer, but only a 1/4 of what i have been. I need some advice. Do u agree with the LFS?

Take your PH at night well after the lights are off.

IMO, the PH is a bit high but not that much higher than the target of 8.2-8.4. I would leave the tank be without adding buffers here and there and see if the tank can balance itself. A high alk reading does not mean impending doom.

so what should i do about the alkalinity, because here in about 3 months i'm gonna start adding a few corals, and even if it isn't a big deal, i'm very picky when it comes to my tank, and i can't stand for either my pH or alkalinity to be too high

I would stop adding buffer, what is the buffer brand you are using. If your alk is 6.5 meq/L then the buffer isn't necessary, most buffers raise alk and pH. Do some weekly 25% water changes, don't add the buffer and monitor the pH and alk to see what happens. The alk and pH should fall over time, monitor both and if they fall below norms then think about taking corrective measures. You should also invest in a calcium test kit if you plan on keeping corals. Calcium is intimately tied to alkalinity and pH and if your alk is that far off then your calcium is probably off as well. :)

i can't stand for either my pH or alkalinity to be too high

Keep in mind that the "appropriate" levels are not set in stone and are relative to different circumstances. I don't believe your alk levels will cause any issue with you adding corals. Rather than continued attempt to dose the tank (which I believe can cause more harm than good) to reach a specific number, if it were my tank I would allow the natural acids in the tank to slowly lower the alk and just continue to test and dose for calcium if needed.

In the meantime, I would evaluate why my alk was that high....water source, buffering, etc. and take actions as necessary.

i'm using kent superbuffer, i haven't buffered in awhile, i do have a calcium test kit, and i haven't tried to dose the tank with calcium or anything

Calcium is a little low, but without having hard corals, clams, etc. in the tank I would not be overly concerned to raise it immediately. In general terms, a given solution can only hold so many calcium and alkalinity ions, thus if you dose for calcium only it may help push down the alkalinity a bit. I would do so by dosing slowly and testing religiously.

Back
Top Bottom