How can I make the wet dry filter work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bogeymc6

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 29 gallon tank! I was only going to do fish and some live rock! So I bought a nice wet dry filter and a protein skimmer! I haven't started my filter yet o yea my wet dry has Bio balls too! But now a buddy gave me over 30 lbs of live rock with corals on it! So now I want to make it a reef tank lol! I've heard that wet dry is not good for reef tanks! So now what? I've already spent the money on the wet dry! How can I make the wet dry filter work? Thanks for the help

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You can use the live rock as your filter. You could still use your wet dry filter if you wanted for mechanical filtration

How do I make it a mechanical filter thanks

Don't want to wast over $200 on that wet dry! I got it online don't think I can send it back

You can use it...but I'd want to do weekly maintenance on them. When you do your water changes, pull the bio balls out and dunk them in the water change water to get any gunk off and then put them back.

I converted mine now I find it very efficient my tank sparkles , I even keep feeders down there
img_3326886_0_8c6929c02d7acbabe8b265f4683fd06f.jpg

You can use it...but I'd want to do weekly maintenance on them. When you do your water changes, pull the bio balls out and dunk them in the water change water to get any gunk off and then put them back.

But I thought you want the gunk on them that's want makes it work right?

But I thought you want the gunk on them that's want makes it work right?

What makes them work is generous surface area and good flow containing oxygen and dissolved nitrogenous waste. A biofilm will develop on their surfaces. This is different from physical waste.
You want to trap and remove the physical waste before it can get trapped in the biomedia. If gunk gets trapped in the biomedia, then it can lead to an increase in nitrates.

Do you have a reef tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice[/QUOTE}

As a matter of fact I do (y)

img_3327025_0_ba083551039e697860160e91f1c2bf40.jpg

I also done away with the bio balls and added live rock rubble seems to help keeping things stable , I was told it would never work by friends but I fooled them
it also has a built in skimmer , I just like to see what I can create but this time it was something that actually worked

Do you have a reef tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice[/QUOTE}

As a matter of fact I do (y)

img_3327104_0_ba083551039e697860160e91f1c2bf40.jpg

I also done away with the bio balls and added live rock rubble seems to help keeping things stable , I was told it would never work by friends but I fooled them
it also has a built in skimmer , I just like to see what I can create but this time it was something that actually worked

Nice tank man! So you put some live rock in the spot were your bio balls went?

What makes them work is generous surface area and good flow containing oxygen and dissolved nitrogenous waste. A biofilm will develop on their surfaces. This is different from physical waste.
You want to trap and remove the physical waste before it can get trapped in the biomedia. If gunk gets trapped in the biomedia, then it can lead to an increase in nitrates.

So my bio balls will work just need to wash them weekly right

The bio balls will work once they grow BB.
They need to rinsed in salt water to keep BB alive .
They will eventually become a nitrate factory...
With LR in main tank you really don't need anything in the tower portion of your wetdry...

Nice tank man! So you put some live rock in the spot were your bio balls went?

I replaced bio balls with live rock rubble
when I do water changes I just pull the baskets and splash them around getting and crud off the rocks than replacing the media on the top ,
the way I set it up its cake to clean when needed

Back
Top Bottom